Do you cook a good steak?

/ Do you cook a good steak? #21  
We do not eat steaks, and I do not remember when I last had one. Best we ever had was when my uncle slaughtered a bull and did some tri tips for us. Very delicious. Only thing close was some Kobe beef steaks in Japan. Everything else was garbage.
That is sad. Sorry to hear it.

/ Do you cook a good steak? #22  
Ribeye for me. 1 inch to 1-1/4" is fine.

Seasoning for me is salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

I sear over hot charcoal for a couple minutes per side til I have the char I want.

Then move to indirect heat, choke off air vents on grill, add cherry wood chips, and let smoke til cooked medium. Which is usually ~15-20 min of smoking at ~275° F

/ Do you cook a good steak? #23  
I can do an OK steak, but getting a good grade of beef for the steak is not easy and is expensive when I can. Instead I smoke a brisket or do baby back ribs. I have lots of company for those. Next on my list is to smoke a turkey this next week.

/ Do you cook a good steak? #24  
I usually am too cheap to buy steak but I do love them. When I do buy them it is generally the marked down ones that need to be cooked soon like the OP says. I was fortunate enough to get some really nicely marbled steaks a couple months back at the discounted price. I seared them on my Blackstone griddle first and then I smoked them on high heat on my Traeger checking them for softness so they came out med. rare.

I put some of that St. Elmos on them and I don't think I will ever make another steak or burger again without using it. The stuff is great IMO.

1666496249492.png

/ Do you cook a good steak? #26  
A good steak starts with good beef that is correctly processed and aged (at least three weeks). I am fortunate enough to be able to buy from a local farmer and have it processed locally as well. They are the best steaks we have ever eaten even though they are grass fed and what most would consider very lean. I was skeptical at first until we bought a couple different steaks to try out and ended up buying half a beef the next week. The cost is reasonable if you consider the price of good beef these days.