All Things BBQ

/ All Things BBQ #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
I have a Weber kettle that I use for hamburgers and steaks, and a Big Green Egg that I use for everything that I smoke, like ribs, pork shoulders and brisket, but it is very limited in capacity and heat control is manual. I also have a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker that turns out some great ribs, but clean up and heat control are a bit difficult.

Question: does anyone have a Smoker that has digital controls? If so, are you happy with it? Also, has anyone who owns a pellet grill, used the new charcoal pellets?

Thinking about buying a new smoker with digital controls, but want one that burns charcoal instead of pellets. There are only a couple out there that uses charcoal; most are pellet grills...which work great, but meat doesn't have quite the flavor as when cooked over charcoal, or so I'm told.

/ All Things BBQ #2  
I have a Pitboss digital pellet fired smoker. Works great but struggles to keep temps in the wind . Never knew there were charcoal pellets.

/ All Things BBQ
I have a Pitboss digital pellet fired smoker. Works great but struggles to keep temps in the wind . Never knew there were charcoal pellets.
Yeah, they are fairly new. Royal Oak makes them.

/ All Things BBQ #4  
I have a REC TEC digitally controlled pellet smoker and I love it. I had also never heard of the charcoal pellets, but I'll look into them.
PXL_20220125_220847793.MP.jpg

/ All Things BBQ #5  
Never heard of them either, but so......
Royal Oak Charcoal pellets
Says they burn hotter than wood pellets.

I would guess if All Things BBQ doesn't have the smoker you want, it will be very hard to find. Might even call them and see what they say. Maybe charcoal pellets will burn in a regular pellet smoker.

I have one of their offset smokers. Made of 1/4" plate. It is great.

/ All Things BBQ #6  
Never heard of them either, but so......
Royal Oak Charcoal pellets
Says they burn hotter than wood pellets.

I would guess if All Things BBQ doesn't have the smoker you want, it will be very hard to find. Might even call them and see what they say. Maybe charcoal pellets will burn in a regular pellet smoker.

I have one of their offset smokers. Made of 1/4" plate. It is great.

The royal oak pellets are pricey but worth a try. They (royal oak) say they can be used in any pellet smoker.

/ All Things BBQ #7  
I have a Traeger i bought last year, I also didn't know about the charcoal pellets once I run out of my 150lbs + of wood pellets, I may try them. Or do they work in any pellet smoker? Would be interested in hearing from any of you that do try them. I bought a wireless thermometer so I can be smoking something with the remote thermometer sitting beside me watching the ball game. I didn't splurge for the wifi to use my phone but I'm sure that is slick. Looks like @polo1665 did.

I would like to get an off-set smoker at some point but I'm looking for the right used deal on marketplace. People buy them, use them a few times and sell them. They are a bit more work than a pellet grill but I hear that it is worth it.

/ All Things BBQ
I have a friend with and Oklahoma Joe's offset smoker and he really likes it. They make a pretty good quality smoker at a very reasonable price, compared to some of the higher end offset smokers.

/ All Things BBQ #9  
I have a friend with and Oklahoma Joe's offset smoker and he really likes it. They make a pretty good quality smoker at a very reasonable price, compared to some of the higher end offset smokers.

Yes, I've been looking at the OKJoe longhorn reverse flow almost bought one. I may buy one next spring that's about what my budget will stand.

You can get them used for around $400.

/ All Things BBQ #10  
I bought a Yoder offset smoker used from someone for my son in law. It was in Ft Smith Ark and had to drive about 150 miles to pick it up. At that time about (7 years ago), I paid $800 - list was $1300. It was used and looked like new. They use plate steel and last forever. It was a Cheyenne - their smallest offset. I don' think they make it anymore. After that, we always had brisket and pulled pork (and rib slabs). But, you are right, rather pricey. But after buying about 8 bbq sheet metal grills over the years, that is the only way I would go ---especially if I were young and could use it 40 years.