Do you cook a good steak?

/ Do you cook a good steak? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
I posted this on another site, and decided to repost it here. One of my favorite subjects!

HOW I COOK MY STEAKS

If you have a reputation for cooking a good steak, let's hear it. I have several tell me I cooked the best steak they have ever eaten, and when we cook steaks at the Lodge, some want to make sure I cook their steak. Here's my story.

The first charcoaled steak I ever ate, I cooked it myself in 1959, when my folks bought their first charcoal grill. Over the years, my general method evolved as follows:

My favorite steak is a one inch thick bone in rib eye. I always buy the best grade of meat I can find; Prime, if I can afford it, but Choice will work. I will buy the marked down, out of date steaks if they have them; I try to let them age in the frige a week or so before I cook them anyway.

Take them out of the frige a couple of hours before cooking and let them come to room temp. I spray mine with olive oil, add a light sprinkling of dry mustard on one side and season moderately with Montreal Steak seasoning. I add about a tablespoon of Saute Butter on top (regular butter will work), and cover them with a paper towel until time to cook. Oh, you can omit the mustard and steak seasoning if you are a purist, which I was for most of my steak cooking days. I avoid meat tenderizer and garlic, acknowledging that the Montreal seasoning has some garlic added.

I use my Weber charcoal grill, and what ever charcoal I have; brick or chunk. After it is ready, I add my smoking wood..SEASONED Mesquite, Oak (blackjack) and either Hickory or Pecan. I use smaller chunks, so they will catch and burn quickly; about 3 or four small ones of each type. I do not soak them. I let it set a few minutes so the smoke will develop, and add my steaks, butter and seasoned side up. I like a medium hot grill; I don't want to burn them, but I do want them to cook quickly. A one inch thick steak, cooked about at least 5 or so minutes on one side will usually be plenty brown and ready to turn. Watch the fire that it's not too hot, sometimes I close t he top vent. I add another dollup of butter, and cook it a total of about 15 minutes for a medium steak.

It's best to let your steak sit for about 5 minutes at least before cutting into it, but it's hard to wait some times.

I think the key elements are: 1. Charcoal Grill. 2. The types and amount of smoking wood you use. 3. The type, grade and thickness of the steak; 4. Time and temperature; and to some extent the seasoning you use.

/ Do you cook a good steak? #2  
There was a time when I enjoyed all that. The older I get, the more my preference turns to kale, collards, green beans, broccoli, a nice salad, and we can eat that all week for the price of two 1 inch ribeyes.

/ Do you cook a good steak? #3  
I think I do alright, and people seem to enjoy them...

What I cook on varies as to what is available, but the key in my mind is to ensure that the steak reaches room temperature, and that the cooking surface be allowed to reach a solid heat. If in a pan I'm coating it with butter, if on a grill it'll be a bit of oil. Salt. Sometimes a bit of Montreal, or maybe I play around with what's in the cupboard. I don't know the timing, but when it feels right I'll flip it once.

Interestingly enough, I can taste when I make a mistake in my process- but it doesn't seem like others pick up on it. 🤷‍♂️

/ Do you cook a good steak? #4  
Wh
I posted this on another site, and decided to repost it here. One of my favorite subjects!

HOW I COOK MY STEAKS

If you have a reputation for cooking a good steak, let's hear it. I have several tell me I cooked the best steak they have ever eaten, and when we cook steaks at the Lodge, some want to make sure I cook their steak. Here's my story.

The first charcoaled steak I ever ate, I cooked it myself in 1959, when my folks bought their first charcoal grill. Over the years, my general method evolved as follows:

My favorite steak is a one inch thick bone in rib eye. I always buy the best grade of meat I can find; Prime, if I can afford it, but Choice will work. I will buy the marked down, out of date steaks if they have them; I try to let them age in the frige a week or so before I cook them anyway.

Take them out of the frige a couple of hours before cooking and let them come to room temp. I spray mine with olive oil, add a light sprinkling of dry mustard on one side and season moderately with Montreal Steak seasoning. I add about a tablespoon of Saute Butter on top (regular butter will work), and cover them with a paper towel until time to cook. Oh, you can omit the mustard and steak seasoning if you are a purist, which I was for most of my steak cooking days. I avoid meat tenderizer and garlic, acknowledging that the Montreal seasoning has some garlic added.

I use my Weber charcoal grill, and what ever charcoal I have; brick or chunk. After it is ready, I add my smoking wood..SEASONED Mesquite, Oak (blackjack) and either Hickory or Pecan. I use smaller chunks, so they will catch and burn quickly; about 3 or four small ones of each type. I do not soak them. I let it set a few minutes so the smoke will develop, and add my steaks, butter and seasoned side up. I like a medium hot grill; I don't want to burn them, but I do want them to cook quickly. A one inch thick steak, cooked about at least 5 or so minutes on one side will usually be plenty brown and ready to turn. Watch the fire that it's not too hot, sometimes I close t he top vent. I add another dollup of butter, and cook it a total of about 15 minutes for a medium steak.

It's best to let your steak sit for about 5 minutes at least before cutting into it, but it's hard to wait some times.

I think the key elements are: 1. Charcoal Grill. 2. The types and amount of smoking wood you use. 3. The type, grade and thickness of the steak; 4. Time and temperature; and to some extent the seasoning you use.
Where do you live and when is your next steak barbecue?

/ Do you cook a good steak? #8  
The secret to cooking a good steak is starting with a good steak which is getting increasingly difficult to find.
That’s why we raise our own. Even more difficult to buy than a good steak is good burger. Our steer burgers beat the heck out of the old dry cow burger they sell in the grocery store.

/ Do you cook a good steak? #9  
We buy beef by the side and specify the best cuts. And thick.

We like a good steak, seared right on both sides, finish medium rare, and properly rested.

But, we prefer trying new things and exploring new flavors using various techniques and seasonings. This renders plain steak on the grill as kind of boring. Don't get me wrong, it has it's place on our menu, just not that often. As Emeril Lagasse was famous for saying, we kick it up a notch!! BAM!!

/ Do you cook a good steak? #10  
I'll cook a good steak for me (med-rare), but I probably don't have bragging rights for cooking steaks for others. I can manage though ... everybody eats.