Do These Actually Work...

/ Do These Actually Work... #52  
Seems that there is a flood of these sharpening tools for sale on i-net last few days, do they actually work..... Concept looks good, just can not believe its a quality produce for the $29 to $49 price sellers are asking, down from $79......

Other question is has many "sellers" seized on these as a "scam" to get you to order and they never deliver?....

And no I'm not really going o buy...

View attachment 772912
Not sure how much you use your chainsaw but if I did not know how to sharpen a saw I would
1, learn the fundamentals of what is needed to make a chain cut. And what is needed to allow the bit of the chain to cut. Don't forget to find out what happens when you get either wrong and how to correct the mistake
2, When I have dulled[not destroyed]the chain. Then I would take the time to sharpen it.
You will both learn patience and formulate some method of keeping your chain out of the dirt/how to keep your chain sharp......"repetition makes muscle memory practice makes perfect"
That said....I am cheap and would need to run into some serious anger management issues before I resorted to a gadget such as this to sharpen anything even a relatively complex cutting device as a power saw chain is sharpened easily once it becomes habit

/ Do These Actually Work... #54  
For me, I run a Stihl hand file sharpener through my chain before using it for the day. I get good chips out of the chain, and it remains sharp for the day.

This is pretty much it. If you keep it sharp with a file, it’s never going to get dull enough to need to grind on it.

You are keeping the edge vs creating it.

/ Do These Actually Work... #55  
This is pretty much it. If you keep it sharp with a file, it’s never going to get dull enough to need to grind on it.

You are keeping the edge vs creating it.
Yes, but not really. Some of us hit rocks and its always on one side. Now you got lots of material to remove so right and left cutters still match.

/ Do These Actually Work... #56  
Yes, but not really. Some of us hit rocks and its always on one side. Now you got lots of material to remove so right and left cutters still match.
If that happens then a grinder makes for quick and easy repair of the damaged cutters. Much faster and less work than hand filing.

/ Do These Actually Work... #57  
My Stihl dealer will sharpen a chain for $5 including adjusting the depth guides if needed. I use him exclusively. I own half a dozen chains for each saw. Always have a supply of sharp chains available.

Mine was an Ace Hardware that had a sharpening service. I started taking them there to be sharpened. One day, decided a specific tree (within distance of hitting house should it fall the wrong direction) needed taken down. Started sawing and the tree settled, pinching my bar.

Fine... I have an extra bar & chain this very circumstance. Got tools, removed powerhead from bar, put other bar and freshly sharpened chain.... and the freshly sharpened chain would cut melted butter. They neglected or forgot to file the rakers. Chain was useless. Wife's cousin next door....saw was down. Called brother in law, he said he'd come over "later" to see if he could help.

I decided to run into town, get replacements and come back to finish....meanwhile, I had the first cut of my wedge cut meaning the tree was cut something like 1/3 into the face with my bar sticking out.

As it happened, by the time I returned, my brother in law had arrived. He brought his saw and had dropped the tree before I returned.

I've never had anyone else sharpen my blades since then..... AND (if you've seen my comments elsewhere) this is another reason why I like the idea now of just digging part of the root ball and using my backhoe to push the tree over.

/ Do These Actually Work... #58  
Mine was an Ace Hardware that had a sharpening service. I started taking them there to be sharpened. One day, decided a specific tree (within distance of hitting house should it fall the wrong direction) needed taken down. Started sawing and the tree settled, pinching my bar.

Fine... I have an extra bar & chain this very circumstance. Got tools, removed powerhead from bar, put other bar and freshly sharpened chain.... and the freshly sharpened chain would cut melted butter. They neglected or forgot to file the rakers. Chain was useless. Wife's cousin next door....saw was down. Called brother in law, he said he'd come over "later" to see if he could help.

I decided to run into town, get replacements and come back to finish....meanwhile, I had the first cut of my wedge cut meaning the tree was cut something like 1/3 into the face with my bar sticking out.

As it happened, by the time I returned, my brother in law had arrived. He brought his saw and had dropped the tree before I returned.

I've never had anyone else sharpen my blades since then..... AND (if you've seen my comments elsewhere) this is another reason why I like the idea now of just digging part of the root ball and using my backhoe to push the tree over.
Yeah, I hate people that make mistakes. 😁

/ Do These Actually Work... #59  

Well, it’s a lot harder to keep chains sharp trying to saw rocks as they are not designed to do so.

One of these will help keep you from sawing rocks.

2BF03B7E-EB66-45F3-B8A2-8D7B0D1C0AA7.jpeg

Then you don’t have grind away the rest of the cutting edges on your chain when you mangle one with something it can’t cut.

”stuff happens” though thus the “this is pretty much it”, leaving room for exceptions that can at least keep a blade useful vs trash when mr. Murphy makes your chain eat rocks.