DK45 crippled in the woods

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #11  
Remember, not every mechanic aspires to BMW level; some aspire to Aston Martin!:eek:
Pics of disassembly/reassembly, please.
What year is your DK, and how many hours? What do you attribute the failure/cracked gearcase to?

/ DK45 crippled in the woods
04Aug2014Kioti 002.jpg
Here is what it looked like after we took the wheel off. You can see the sheared off end of the bevel gear shaft with a bit of spline still intact. Also, the gear case itself just broke in half.
My DK45SC is a 2006 and has nearly 960 hrs now. Obviously I managed to do something a little too rough with it in the woods; my mechanic says this failure may have been the culmination of many lesser insults over time and also thought the casing likely broke which then essentially forced the shaft to shear off. Sorry that I didn't take pics of the dismantling process itself. Accessing some of the nuts on the back side of the bevel gear case was challenging, as was applying enough torque once we finally got a thin enough box wrench to go onto the nut (not much clearance between the nut and the axle casing).
Bob

04Aug2014Kioti 001.jpg
Here's one backed off a little bit. I'm thinking of hauling my metal detector up there to see if I can uncover the top part of the spline, which should be in the dirt somewhere.
I'll also try to get a shot of the tractor in situ, so you can see the kind of trail work I do with this poor, abused beast.
Bob

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #14  
Thanks rd, I almost at 1K hours now and have a suspicion that I will be into that front end because I use front wheel assist all the time and usually with heavy loads. Looks pretty straight forward though...nothing to be "escared of" eh?

Here is a picture of the trail I was working on:
KiotiTrails007.jpg

And in this picture, you can see the tree that defeated me (a maple; the bole is now standing/leaning off to the left and the remaining stump [I sawed off the leaner in revenge!] is just behind the dog):
KiotiTrails010.jpg

I have only about 20 meters to go to reach a road on a neighboring property...but you can bet I'll be working more gingerly, and with my fingers crossed,... for the first little while, anyway. I hope to have it all put back together in a week or two, depending on how long it takes to get the parts in.

I want to reiterate how helpful it was to have found the blow-up parts listing on MIE's web site. The whole mechanism isn't all that complicated, but there are quite a number of gaskets, shims, etc., so it is nice to have a diagram and be able to keep track of it all (so there aren't any pesky left-over parts after its all back together!). It looks like it will take a lot of gear oil to replenish the front axle; I'll have to check the manual and see if it lists the fluid capacity for that.

I'm a bit more hopeful about the cost of this, too. Maybe the mechanic will only be getting the price of a new set of wheels and tires for his truck rather than a whole new truck!

Bob

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #16  
Here is a picture of the trail I was working on:

I want to reiterate how helpful it was to have found the blow-up parts listing on MIE's web site. The whole mechanism isn't all that complicated, but there are quite a number of gaskets, shims, etc., so it is nice to have a diagram and be able to keep track of it all (so there aren't any pesky left-over parts after its all back together!).

That is why everybody who's serious about owning a machine should buy the parts book and shop manual when they buy the machine. I've seen where a newer version of the parts book doesn't show something you need for an older machine, and nobody has them available. Many years down the road you will either be thanking yourself, or someone else will be thanking you, for having thought ahead. It's also a lot easier to hold a parts book next to the machine compared to a computer :)

Good luck with the rest of the fix.

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #17  
You must post some pictures of this :thumbsup:

Good luck, although it sounds fairly quick and simple, other than the location. We would appreciate some pictures though. It helps us all when the world drops on our own heads to know we are not alone.:thumbsup:

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #19  
Boy I struggled with that lower o -ring seal for hours until I just said f it and sorta just let the weight of the tractor come down on it and BINGO it went right in all by itself. That and the giant snap rings are the hardest part.

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #20  
Boy I struggled with that lower o -ring seal for hours until I just said f it and sorta just let the weight of the tractor come down on it and BINGO it went right in all by itself. That and the giant snap rings are the hardest part.

For those out there that don't know what you mean I'd like to interpret that for You if it's OK. Folks he said "FORCE IT". :laughing: