DK45 crippled in the woods

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #1  

rd_macgregor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SC, Kubota B2650
I managed to do a couple of sessions of woods work without damaging the tractor, so I guess my time was due. Last night I heard a big clunk and some grinding and found the RF wheel splayed out and the axle housing end pouring oil onto the ground. I had my mechanic out this am and we can get a truck within about 60-80 ft of the tractor and he is willing to work on it in situ (which is good, because it definitely isn't going anywhere until is is fixed!). We pulled the wheel off and the bevel gear shaft is sheared right off...no way to tell yet what other damage may have been done (eg to the bevel gears themselves).
I hope I'm wrong, but I keep imagining the mechanic $hopping for a new BMW for hi$ wife as $oon as thi$ repair job i$ done.

Bob

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #2  
I managed to do a couple of sessions of woods work without damaging the tractor, so I guess my time was due. Last night I heard a big clunk and some grinding and found the RF wheel splayed out and the axle housing end pouring oil onto the ground. I had my mechanic out this am and we can get a truck within about 60-80 ft of the tractor and he is willing to work on it in situ (which is good, because it definitely isn't going anywhere until is is fixed!). We pulled the wheel off and the bevel gear shaft is sheared right off...no way to tell yet what other damage may have been done (eg to the bevel gears themselves).
I hope I'm wrong, but I keep imagining the mechanic $hopping for a new BMW for hi$ wife as $oon as thi$ repair job i$ done.

Bob

Can you not skid it out on the bucket in reverse? Drop the bucket down mostly flat and raise the remaining front tire slightly off of the ground, Unlock your split brakes and drive in reverse steering with the split brakes.

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #3  
I seem to recall a thread describing an identical problem with a wheel falling off. He attached a lifting strap (or chain)
from the FEL arm to the side of the front axle with the broken wheel and lifted the FEL until the axle was level, and
then drove the tractor out of the woods on three wheels. Haven't been able to locate the thread again. Maybe
another TBN member will remember the thread.

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #4  
Ouch, title alone made me cringe. Good luck, I hope its only a Chevy he shops for!

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #5  
I found the thread that I mentioned in my last post. I quote

" Re: B2910 front wheel snapped off!

Well in 10 days it will be 3 years since I broke off the RF wheel. Today, I broke off the LF wheel :) Thankfully, I detailed my experience here, because I had completely forgotten what I did to repair the other one. It happened not far from where I broke the first one, way down in the woods. I remembered a suggestion here to lift the axle off the ground with the bucket and chain it to the frame and 3-wheel it out. It worked like a charm! I was back at my garage in 10 minutes."

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #7  
This sounds like a bad country-western song.

Got a tractor busted down in the woods,
She ain't moving, ain't no good.

The mechanic, he tells me, its gonna cost,
triple, triple, triple, you see.

Sing it with me:

My tractor is stuck down in the woods,
where the bears and the beavers done it no good,
Mechanic says after he fixes mine, he's buying a new truck,
All options, dinner and wine.

Anyway, all to say, good luck. I cannot help you from MN.

/ DK45 crippled in the woods
I did briefly think about trying to skid out steering with the brakes, but the trail is really rough, twisty and seriously tilted in places and I don't think my tractor skill is up to that effort...also, I didn't want to risk doing even more damage. Yesterday, the mechanic and I dismantled the RF bevel case assembly. It looks like the bevel gears themselves aren't damaged and the only real solid parts (apart from gaskets and shims) that need replacing are the bevel gear shaft (which is sheared off just below the splines) and the bevel gear case itself (the casting is snapped). I suspect that labour will be the biggest part of the bill; still, I am grateful that the mechanic is willing to 4-wheel back into the woods, hike in to the tractor and sit in the dirt to work on it...not the best of "shop" conditions (though he claims he's seen worse!).
I might post a pic or two, but have to remember to bring my camera in to the office for the upload.
Thanks for the suggestions and sympathy...and a special big thanks to Michigan Iron and Equipment for having the exploded parts diagrams on their web site; it was really helpful to be able to see what to expect when dismantling the broken pieces.
Bob

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #9  
Let us know how it turns out..