DK45 crippled in the woods

/ DK45 crippled in the woods
Well, it all went back together pretty smoothly and appears to be working fine. I've even used it a bit in the woods, though it will be a little while longer before I'm not somewhat gunshy/tentative in my trailmaking efforts.
I haven't received the bill yet, though...

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #32  
That trail looks like several of my own, minus some hills.

I guess the upside for me is that our trees are big enough that we need saws, so I am not tempted to knock up against trees too large. Saplings that grow between are tractor food, but everything else needs teeth. I've never even contemplated what kind of tractor would be needed to knock down an American Beech more than 3 foot in diameter. Of course, I'd never desire to take something like that down. Too much beauty. But lately they have been coming down on their own on one end of the hill, due to shifting natural springs rotting their roots out.

Glad to see you up and running again. Be happy you got a mechanic willing to go to the (forest) floor for you.

/ DK45 crippled in the woods
Believe me, I know how lucky I am to be able to get the work done on-site! When I scope out my trail routes, I first try to follow old, grown-over trails (which will mostly have small firs, spruces and birch/beech/maple less than a few inches in diameter). When cutting a totally virgin trail, I try to pick routs through the woods that minimize the number of trees I need to remove. I don't have many trees as big as 3 ft. dia., but many are in the 1 ft to 2 ft size. The hardwoods are bad enough when I can see they are too big to push over, but the most irritating are the little bunches of coppiced maple that look puny, but still have the original stump and root system of the parent tree (that might have been cut down 30 years ago).
Finally, on routes where there is no history of trails (or long-ago farming!), the ground is not smooth, by a long shot, but cutting and filling is a real challenge when there are lots of roots through the soil. It takes a number of years to slowly work these into a trail surface that is really useable in the summer (skiing is no problem). A dozer would make short work of all this, but my wife would likely freak out at the destruction I could wreak with a dozer!

/ DK45 crippled in the woods #34  
Glad to see your back at it. As for grubbing, your just gonna break stuff...it's inevitable.