Diabetes

/ Diabetes
yikes fuddy
and they say don't worry, cooking kills them.
you first
;)

/ Diabetes #282  
botfly larvae

yikes fuddy
and they say don't worry, cooking kills them.
you first
;)
from Wikepedia:

As human food[edit]​

Dissected head of a deer showing botfly larvae
In cold climates supporting reindeer or caribou-reliant populations, large quantities of Hypoderma tarandi (caribou warble fly) maggots are available to human populations during the butchery of animals.[15]

The sixth episode of season one of the television series Beyond Survival, titled "The Inuit – Survivors of the Future", features survival expert Les Stroud and two Inuit guides hunting caribou on the northern coast of Baffin Island near Pond Inlet, Nunavut, Canada. Upon skinning and butchering of one of the animals, numerous larvae (presumably H. tarandi, although not explicitly stated) are apparent on the inside of the caribou pelt. Stroud and his two Inuit guides eat (albeit somewhat reluctantly) one larva each, with Stroud commenting that the larva "tastes like milk" and was historically commonly consumed by the Inuit.[16]

/ Diabetes #283  
I could be vegan. We don't eat meat much except chicken & seafood. I guess humans are omnivores except our digestive system and teeth are more like vegetarians.

/ Diabetes #284  
I could be vegan. We don't eat meat much except chicken & seafood. I guess humans are omnivores except our digestive system and teeth are more like vegetarians.
No, they are not. Our dentition and digestive system are that of omnivores. Basically that which don’t fight back hard enough, or run away fast enough is food. Problem most Americans have had since WWII is that we became rich enough to eat holiday food every day. And as other parts of the world gain access to markets, they are starting to have all of the problems Americans have. Chinese used to eat pork on holidays. they became rich enough to eat it every day, along with sugary sauces, and now they have hte same health issues Americans have.

And, for some T-2 diabetics, it is genetic, and the weight gain follows a weight loss at the onset of the diabetes, and a weight gain as the liver starts converting all of the excess glucose in the system into lipids, and sending it out for storage. My father diagnosed at 43, very little body fat, just suddenly had blurry vision, unquenchable thirst, and wanted to pee all the time. At 38, I went form 170 to 250, and had blurry vision, an unquenchable thirst, and had to pee all the time. Plus just about anytime I ate, I passed out. Went on meds, and dropped fifty pounds. A1c form an 8 to a 6.5 in three months. three years before I “diagnosed” I passed out after drinking a 12-ounce can of apple juice, after not eating all day. It took a while to diagnose because I was working 12-hour days, running on a couple of gallons of black coffee and one meal per day. I was running a paver string, perfect job for really hyper engineers, hit the ground at a little after dawn, walk back and forth all day, start at the windrow in front, check the paver, walk back down the string and check on the rollers, fast walk half a mile to catch up, refill my coffee mug, and do it again. No stops from start up until dark, unless something went wrong. Dropped from the 180 I got up to in college, to about 165. Then all of a sudden started putting on weight. And, I officially was diagnosed.

/ Diabetes #285  
Eat fats from vegetables and nuts too

Benefits of Plant Fat​

Mono- and polyunsaturated fats, like those from fruit and vegetables, have been linked to lower LDL (that's the bad one) cholesterol levels, higher HDL cholesterol levels and a reduced risk of heart disease, according to Harvard Health Publishing.
Avocados are one of the richest sources of monounsaturated fats among all foods; polyunsaturated fats are abundant in fatty fish, such as tuna, salmon and mackerel; walnuts; and flaxseeds.
Eating too much of the saturated fat found in meats, butter, lard, cream and cheese is linked to higher LDL cholesterol, increasing the risk of heart disease, per the American Heart Association. People are encouraged to eat less of these unhealthy fats, and replace them with healthy, plant-based fats.

/ Diabetes #286  
My mom got it from her meds and had a blood sugar level of 135 until she came to live with us. We fed her a plant based, whole food diet. 75% of what she ate was starch and 25% was veg. Her blood sugar dropped to 80. She had to go to an assisted living place and they put her on a diebetic diet and her blood sugar is back to 135. It is something to think about. Ed
People with diabetes lived longer on lower carb and plant-based diet, study finds

/ Diabetes #287  
No, they are not. Our dentition and digestive system are that of omnivores. Basically that which don’t fight back hard enough, or run away fast enough is food.

Rabbit hole: I once overheard that nearly everything that could outrun us we eventually domesticated.

/ Diabetes #288  
Rabbit hole: I once overheard that nearly everything that could outrun us we eventually domesticated.
Damned little can outrun a human in shape. We are endurance runners. The bushman of of the Kalihari shoot their tiny little arrows at animals, and then chase them as they run away, as soon as the animal tries to stop and recover from it’s sprint, they catch up, and shoot it with their tiny little arrows again, and it again runs away, and they keep after it. Every time it stops to rest they catch up again, and shoot it with their tiny arrows. Eventually it runs to far and collapses, at which point they catch up, and kill it, if it has died from being over heated.

Humans are the worlds best endurance animals, we can run any other animal until it collapses. There are a bunch which can out sprint us, but very few who can go for miles which an in shape human can.

/ Diabetes #289  
Again I will suggest, eat a reasonable diet of a omnivore and find something you enjoy doing to move around with. You'll feel better and live longer for it.
P1150207.jpg

/ Diabetes #290