Diabetes

/ Diabetes #291  
   / Diabetes
We are what we eat, with a big dose of genetics added.
My dermatologist has told me multiple times my skin cancers have a strong genetic component.

seems to me just means the road to good health just may be a little steeper. Have to make a little more effort.
I absolutely believe going vegan would significantly extend my life. Just not willing to do it all the way. So I try to eat more
veggies and berries and less fatty meat. all of my lab readings are within range, except for AIC at 5.9
Primary doc told me that was pretty common. And not good as a trend.

Green salad is the best, and the least interesting thing to me. I have to dump a lot of extras
on it before I can get it down. Broccoli, salad greens, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries.
Always try to keep several of them in fridge.

If my AIC goes up another tenth, I'm cooked. Then the docs will truly get on my case.
but honestly, I'd trade a few final years for a nice filet once in a while...
From personal experience, my wife died of rectal cancer, which has a strong, proven link to meat eating.
hard to forget that.
lot of other diet risk factors out there.

/ Diabetes #293  
We are what we eat, with a big dose of genetics added.
My dermatologist has told me multiple times my skin cancers have a strong genetic component.

seems to me just means the road to good health just may be a little steeper. Have to make a little more effort.
I absolutely believe going vegan would significantly extend my life. Just not willing to do it all the way. So I try to eat more
veggies and berries and less fatty meat. all of my lab readings are within range, except for AIC at 5.9
Primary doc told me that was pretty common. And not good as a trend.

Green salad is the best, and the least interesting thing to me. I have to dump a lot of extras
on it before I can get it down. Broccoli, salad greens, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries.
Always try to keep several of them in fridge.

If my AIC goes up another tenth, I'm cooked. Then the docs will truly get on my case.
but honestly, I'd trade a few final years for a nice filet once in a while...
From personal experience, my wife died of rectal cancer, which has a strong, proven link to meat eating.
hard to forget that.
lot of other diet risk factors out there.
Yes, what you write is good. To much of anything is bad, especially meats. We eat salads most days and maybe I'll post a pic of one. They are quite good. (y)

/ Diabetes #294  
Life is short. Don't forget to enjoy it.
Sometimes doing all the right things can leave us feeling less than gratified or fulfilled. I'm talking about that girl you let get away in high school, the shiny sportscar not acquired, and that steak not eaten. 5.9 AIC is not really a big problem. 6.9 yes, it's on the threshold of type 1. But plenty of people live long productive lives as type 2 diabetics. Example, my 99 yr old mother.
There are many good choices for salad. BBQ a chicken breast, dice it up, and toss a it in your salad each day. Lately we have local avocado in season and added olives, shredded carrot and cabbage are good ingredients too.

/ Diabetes #295  
We are not what we eat. We are what our bodies produce from what we eat.

/ Diabetes #296  
Sometimes doing all the right things can leave us feeling less than gratified or fulfilled. I'm talking about that girl you let get away in high school, the shiny sportscar not acquired, and that steak not eaten. 5.9 AIC is not really a big problem. 6.9 yes, it's on the threshold of type 1. But plenty of people live long productive lives as type 2 diabetics. Example, my 99 yr old mother.
There are many good choices for salad. BBQ a chicken breast, dice it up, and toss a it in your salad each day. Lately we have local avocado in season and added olives, shredded carrot and cabbage are good ingredients too.
if you are borderline type I, but if you eat reasonable, keep your weight down and move around some, full blow type I can usually can be avoided.

Last edited:
   / Diabetes #297  
My goal is to eat good an tasty food. Tasty is not synonymous with unhealthy. 😂

/ Diabetes #298  
Not my words but I believe this says it all...

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

/ Diabetes #299  
Not my words but I believe this says it all...

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hate to mess up your fantasy but a thoroughly used up and totally worn out will not be skidding in broadside in a cloud of dust but more like this:

/ Diabetes #300  
Hate to mess up your fantasy but a thoroughly used up and totally worn out will not be skidding in broadside in a cloud of dust but more like this:
Don't confuse me with you :p