Deere 2R vs 3R

/ Deere 2R vs 3R #21  
I personally don't have a problem with either the 4wd lever or the differential lock. The differential lock might be a little small, you just have to make sure you have your heel on it.

/ Deere 2R vs 3R
I personally don't have a problem with either the 4wd lever or the differential lock. The differential lock might be a little small, you just have to make sure you have your heel on it.

Cool. Do you use the diff lock? The one on the 855 is a large lever, and the only thing to hit on the heal of the left foot tread, so I’m just in the habit of mashing my boot down on it without even looking. I was thinking I’m going to kick that 4wd engagement lever a lot on the 2038R doing the same, but maybe not.

When I visited my Deere dealer, they didn’t seem to indicate that test driving the tractors was an option. I supposed I need to ask? This is the first time I’ve ever bought a new tractor larger than a lawn tractor, my past machines of this size were both used.

Oh, hey... one last question. The dealer told me you have to hold the PTO button down on the 2R’s to reverse the tractor with PTO engaged. I explained that obviously wouldn’t work for my 3-point snowblower, which made him stop and think. Then he said he *thought* maybe it was only for the mid-PTO, but didn’t sound sure at all. What’s the situation with reversing and the PTO running? Also, what’s the situation for running the PTO while you’re off the seat, as in for a log splitter?

/ Deere 2R vs 3R #23  
Yes you have to hold the PTO button down when backing up with the mid mount pto going. I'm not 100% sure on the rear pto, but I don't think so. I do use my rear PTO but not very often. I think I've only used it once for my fertilizer spreader. Also you don't have to hold it down all the time, just when you start to back up. There are ways to bypass the requirement to hold the button down. JD calls it RIO. On the larger 2 series, the 2032 and the 3038 you can turn it off using a series of buttons on the display. On the 2025 I think you have to do some wiring to bypass it.

For me the 4wd lever is just not an issue, I think it sits low enough to the floor I don't hit it with my feet.

I assume to make the rear PTO to work while off the tractor you just tip the seat up but haven't had to do that yet.

I do use my diff lock all the time, mainly when mowing up a steep hill. It engages really easy. Never an issue for me.

My dealer let me drive mine around the lot before I bought it and showed me how everything works. It always hard to know how well you are going to like it until you get it home and use it a few hours.

/ Deere 2R vs 3R
Thanks, Dodge man!

/ Deere 2R vs 3R
Well, I went with the 2032r. It was a tough choice, the extra capacity of the 3033r would have been nice in some ways, but the 2R is just a better fit for a lot of what I do. I really like the ergonomics of the 2R’s in a lot of ways, mostly the ease of getting on and off from both sides.

I added the following:

1. 57” heavy-duty bucket
2. Power Beyond kit
3. Third and fourth channel hydraulics
4. Premium LED lighting kit
5. Turf tires

Gotta decide on filling the tires, so would appreciate any advice on that, based on the usage I outlined in the OP.

Also, if anyone knows how they plumb all those hydro channels to rear (six fittings!!) on that small machine, is love to see it.

/ Deere 2R vs 3R #26  
Good choice. Your current attachments should be about the right size. I think you will want your tires loaded for loader work, snowblowing and all around traction. Are you installing the additional hydraulics, or just wanting to see how they fit them in?

/ Deere 2R vs 3R
Good choice. Your current attachments should be about the right size. I think you will want your tires loaded for loader work, snowblowing and all around traction. Are you installing the additional hydraulics, or just wanting to see how they fit them in?

Dealer installed hydraulics, so it’s their problem to figure it out.

But I spoke too soon, as a funny thing happened when I told my wife that I had picked the smaller machine, and she saw the way my current machine struggling to push my firewood cart. She told me I should’ve gone with the 3033R! She asked why I’m trying to save money on something I could have for the next 20+ years.

Dealer has not taken deposit or likely done anything with the order on a Saturday, so I guess there’s still time to change it. The price difference is a non-issue, it really just comes down to which machine will work better for me. The 3033r has same wheel base, same PSI on lawn, but more width and more weight. Driving both on the lawn at the dealer, they mad exactly the same amount of impression under each soil condition we tried.

I’m back on the fence!

/ Deere 2R vs 3R #28  
Either way load the tires. You will also want some kind of counterbalance on the back.

/ Deere 2R vs 3R #29  
Keep that wife!

/ Deere 2R vs 3R
Either way load the tires. You will also want some kind of counterbalance on the back.

I’ve got a ballast box, probably about 650 lb. it’s a great size for my 855, but Deere specs that same box for both of the new machines in question. Was planning to try unloaded tires first, since I do so much lawn work. I’ve heard so much conflicting info on filled tires that I don’t know what to believe. It definitely changes the dynamics of tire behavior, having the weight in, rather than on the tire. Not sure if that’s good or bad for lawn use.