death of regular cab pickups

/ death of regular cab pickups #71  
How about you point out in that 10+ page thread where it makes your case.

I'm not reading all that.
Well, I come in about page 4 saying i don’t need a CDL. And then it goes on for a bunch of pages with people smarter than me saying if your vehicle is rated for more than a 10000 GVWR and you trailer is rated more than what takes you to over 26000 GCWR. Doesn’t matter if you are doing it for money or not or if you loaded or empty you need a CDL class A. I made a bunch of calls. And found out they were right and I was wrong. And loaded weight is irrelevant and commercial is irrelevant. And it is difficult and costly to get a CDL now nationwide. You must take the EDLT course to get a class a.

There is the farmer exclusion if you can prove it. But loaded weight doesn’t matter since I have to be fully loaded to the brim to exceed 26k. But my GCWR is over 26k I need a CDL…

/ death of regular cab pickups #72  
Well, I come in about page 4 saying i don’t need a CDL. And then it goes on for a bunch of pages with people smarter than me saying if your vehicle is rated for more than a 10000 GVWR and you trailer is rated more than what takes you to over 26000 GCWR. Doesn’t matter if you are doing it for money or not or if you loaded or empty you need a CDL class A. I made a bunch of calls. And found out they were right and I was wrong. And loaded weight is irrelevant and commercial is irrelevant. And it is difficult and costly to get a CDL now nationwide. You must take the EDLT course to get a class a.

There is the farmer exclusion if you can prove it. But loaded weight doesn’t matter since I have to be fully loaded to the brim to exceed 26k. But my GCWR is over 26k I need a CDL…
I can prove it. I have an AG exemption for both property taxes and sales taxes in Texas. They gave me a fancy number and a nifty 'card' with which to prove it.

I doubt I will ever need to worry about it, but I have proof, just in case. :)

/ death of regular cab pickups #73  

So you're saying my 1/2 ford with an ecoboost and 14k trailer is legal.

Awesome!

/ death of regular cab pickups #74  
So you're saying my 1/2 ford with an ecoboost and 14k trailer is legal.

Awesome!
yup, in that thread I say I am going to get a 3/4 ton pickup and overload it and never worry. Since that is less likely to get a DOT citation…

Last edited:
   / death of regular cab pickups #75  
My friend ordered a new regular cab Superduty diesel. It looks sweet. Took him over a year to get it though.
Me, I like regular cabs with an 8 foot box, or my last one, the F550 with a 12 foot flat bed.
Gives you more cargo room with out a giant long truck.
But problem is, my commute to work is 4 hours, so it is nice to have your luggage in the cab especially when it's minus 40 in the winter. The regular cab just didn't have enough room for me.
Now I have a supercab with 8 foot box. At least it's a bit shorter than a crew cab.

/ death of regular cab pickups #76  
My friend ordered a new regular cab Superduty diesel. It looks sweet. Took him over a year to get it though.
Me, I like regular cabs with an 8 foot box, or my last one, the F550 with a 12 foot flat bed.
Gives you more cargo room with out a giant long truck.
But problem is, my commute to work is 4 hours, so it is nice to have your luggage in the cab especially when it's minus 40 in the winter. The regular cab just didn't have enough room for me.
Now I have a supercab with 8 foot box. At least it's a bit shorter than a crew cab.
Yep. A regular cab pickup gets crowded very quick.

/ death of regular cab pickups #77  
Our '47 Dodge was a standard cab convertible back in the 50's. It was converted according to the season, one door during the summer and two doors during the winter.

The removal of the drivers door made it much handier getting in and out while fixing fence out in the pasture and also provided "air conditioning" at anything over 20 MPH.

/ death of regular cab pickups #78  
What, a 4 foot bed isn't enough? Most trucks drive around hauling nothing but air and generate TONS of carbon dioxide doing it.
Thank God they can do that!
Last thing we want is someone heeling our freedoms, forcing us to drive whatever THEY want you to drive!

/ death of regular cab pickups #79  
Not following that? The ratings on 1 ton trucks are ridiculously high now. Regular cab 1 tons have the most towing capacity. And they immediately require a CDL…. if You have one with a light weight v8 gas motor it is even more. when I last looked the towing capacity of a reg cab 1 ton Ram was like 32K pounds…. That is 15k more than my 1 ton 4 door short box…
I have Federal DOT numbers on my F350, have to as I haul hay intrastate and the DOT here is touchy as in a 165 buck fine if they catch you without. They even nail lawn care people hauling lawnmowers as a 'for hire' enterprise. Besides, the farm name is on the doors too.

I will say that not only parking my long bed F350 4 door is a PITA but it takes a football field to turn it around too. Just shy of 20 feet long, bumper to bumper.

/ death of regular cab pickups #80  
I need to haul a track loader to my cabin once in the spring and once in the fall. I am not getting a CDL for two times a year.

You can do whatever you want as long as you don’t get caught. I drove dump trucks for a long time with no CDL. That doesn’t mean I was actually legal. I have a CDL now before anyone gets too upset.