death of regular cab pickups

/ death of regular cab pickups #111  
I'm a fence sitter, so I opted for the "supercab" which is 1-1/2 rows of seats. I had many late 60's/early 70's trucks in my youth, and I'm totally nostalgic for being able to stand on the side of the bed and even see what's in it, let alone reach over and get something. (I'm 5'-9") I may look for one again on those fancy TV car auction shows or find one I can throw a Jasper engine in to revive.
I can't see forking over $50-80K for one of today's complex technological wonders.
Getting a base model truck is a thing of the past unless you are buying a mega order to really get what you want. Too many people just looking for a car with a small bed to carry a few things. Those who really want to use a truck for work are being pushed aside for the masses. The prices shown on the new models are crazy. When I see prices that require loans running to 84 months, that is nothing but crazy. I bought an 07 Chevy new and still have it. I think it will be the last new truck I ever buy.

/ death of regular cab pickups #112  
If you got people to haul around (kids, wife, occasional riding buddies), you need a 4 door. If ya got no people ya only need a 2 door. I drive a 4 door 4x4, 8 Ft bed 3/4T and she’s no showroom Queen either. 2011 and already has 250K miles and she looks it too, but it’s my daily driver :)

/ death of regular cab pickups #113  
guess it's all about current market demand: regular cab pickups are a thing of the past with limited availability. couldn't live without my regular long bed Toyota 4x4.

seems today everyone wants to bring their living room with them in a pickup (w/very little payload capacity). i'll stick with my farm work beast that is also very roadworthy. plus don't feel like taking a 2nd mortgage for today's luxury models. each to his own... best regards, bb

I had an ‘86 F250 ($14,300). Then a 2006 Tundra ($20,000), both regular cab 8 ft. Beds. They suited my needs.

/ death of regular cab pickups #114  
All depends on whether you want a truck, or a car. Personally, I have a car for when I want a car, and would prefer a truck for when I need a truck. However, that is getting hard to do. 4' bed, give me a break, it's useless.

Too many people trying to pretend they are something are they are not are turning pickups into cars, and pickups are no longer trucks.

/ death of regular cab pickups #115  
Getting a base model truck is a thing of the past unless you are buying a mega order to really get what you want. Too many people just looking for a car with a small bed to carry a few things. Those who really want to use a truck for work are being pushed aside for the masses. The prices shown on the new models are crazy. When I see prices that require loans running to 84 months, that is nothing but crazy. I bought an 07 Chevy new and still have it. I think it will be the last new truck I ever buy.
I'm driving a 2004 Ford. Michigan salt is taking it's toll, otherwise it would be good for another 19 years.

/ death of regular cab pickups #116  
I had an ‘86 F250 ($14,300). Then a 2006 Tundra ($20,000), both regular cab 8 ft. Beds. They suited my needs.
Then added a used, 125,000 miles, 2007 Tundra extra-cab with 4’6” bed ($11,500). Nice to have both.
The engine in the 2006 just blew with less than 200,000 miles. Hoping to find a replacement engine and mechanic willing to do the work. I feel it will be worth spending another $5-6,000 on it for use of the 8 ft. Bed.

/ death of regular cab pickups #117  
A half-ton, crew cab truck is extremely versatile. It has more room inside for passengers than basically any car on the market barring none. The rear seats can be folded up to the back wall, allowing a flat floor that is large and can accommodate a lot. The seats are comfortable, the cab is as quiet as a sedan. You get the higher ride height most people seem to want. Acceleration is very quick with today's engines, be it V8 or turbo 6. Braking, handling, and ride quality is quite good. You can get a basic trim level or loaded with everything imaginable. These trucks are among the safest vehicles on the road. Fuel economy is 20+ on the highway. And on top of all this, you still get a pickup bed for hauling heavy / dirty / bulky items, and a 4x4 option (many with AWD) for use in bad weather or off-road. Also, a trailer hitch for hauling trailers that normally would have required an HD truck 15 years ago. Frankly, they are impressive vehicles. You can still buy a regular cab half ton with an 8-foot bed, but they are rare and you likely would need to special order. So few people want these that it only makes sense the automakers would gradually phase them out. We've already seen that with the smaller 'midsize trucks,' you can no longer purchase one with a regular cab. The half ton will be the next victim. Now, regular cabs in the HD trucks will survive because these are now the true work trucks. Half tons focus so much on ride comfort that they now have very little ground clearance and don't have a heavy duty front end.

I am fortunate enough to have three trucks - a 2005 (coil springs) F-350 crew cab long bed diesel dually, a 2003 (leaf springs) F-550 regular cab diesel, and a 2022 Jeep Gladiator crew cab 5-foot bed 'truck.' The Jeep is so much nicer to just hop into a commute in...quick, nimble, better on fuel, still has a useful bed for most items. The other trucks are for real work though.

/ death of regular cab pickups #118  
try finding a short bed standard cab 4x4 now. last few times i have had my truck serviced a salesman let me know its about time to trade for a new truck. i told him sure just find me one like I've got and we will talk. hasn't happened yet:)

Attachments

• DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 67
   / death of regular cab pickups #119  
Sharp RAM, firebird93. You can still get a RAM regular cab new, but its the older 4th gen "Classic" similar to the one you have now, and your trim packages are very limited.

/ death of regular cab pickups #120  
that's interesting.