death of regular cab pickups

/ death of regular cab pickups #101  
I wouldn’t buy a truck without a crew cab, but I do wish I had an 8’ bed instead of a 6’. I’d have to go to a full size and then it wouldn’t fit in my garage. Everything is a compromise. I do love my taco tho.

This is one of the things that has long irked me about less than full size trucks. There have been plenty of times in my life that a compact truck would have been fine from a towing/hauling weight capacity standpoint, but the shorter beds were always the problem.

Though I'm the freak that always wanted a square body era S10 4x4 with a true crew cab and 8ft bed 😅

/ death of regular cab pickups
purchased my '92 Toyota 4x4 w/reg cab & 7' long bed. back then was a perfect combo given my lifestyle. still is, 305k later. options are good for any product, too bad i would not be able to find a long bed reg cab anymore. maybe overseas

/ death of regular cab pickups #103  
I don't fit in a regular cab - the seat doesn't go back far enough for my long legs. I tried to buy an extended cab last time around which is what I've always had, but couldn't get one of those either with the longer bed - had to buy the crew cab and rearrange my garage so it would fit...

/ death of regular cab pickups #104  
You used to be able to pre order custom built them... is that not still the case for the 1/2 tonne ? I think you can still do it but only for the 3/4 tonne class which bring the cost of one pretty high.

/ death of regular cab pickups #105  
i had to order my 2023 F150 regular cab short box. 6 month wait and should be here next week.

in Canada for that configuration the 5 liter V8 is not available nor any of the upgraded interior or exterior packages.

ie: no leather, led lights etc.

short box regular cab has always suited my lifestyle and visual preference.
Ho ya regular cab short box look so good its crazy but most people want a working truck that can fit things in the bed that means long box

/ death of regular cab pickups #106  
2004-2008; the single cab trucks had that weird mini door. Since then they've just made the doors long enough to allow access to the cargo are behind the seat.

iu
I had a 2006 F150 like this and it was a pretty handy feature. Enough room for a toolbox or a few grocery bags but not passengers. Traded it for a 2019 F150 regular cab short bed 6-1/2’. It’s easy to park, hauls everything I need and will get 24+ mpg.
I look at a truck as just another tool, if you need seats get seats, if you don’t why pay extra and drag them around with you?

/ death of regular cab pickups #107  
some people just don't know the space they have... that not the case for me, I know exactly where my bumpers and wheels are ... don't believe me ? check that out ... that's precision.

1680516842709.png

/ death of regular cab pickups #108  
guess it's all about current market demand: regular cab pickups are a thing of the past with limited availability. couldn't live without my regular long bed Toyota 4x4.

seems today everyone wants to bring their living room with them in a pickup (w/very little payload capacity). i'll stick with my farm work beast that is also very roadworthy. plus don't feel like taking a 2nd mortgage for today's luxury models. each to his own... best regards, bb

I grew up riding "*****" in a standard cab with a standard transmission. Neither of which are around much these days.

/ death of regular cab pickups #109  
The first two trucks I bought were standard cabs with long beds. Both had automatics which I'm not proud of. I learned to drive in a half ton pick up with 3 speed on the column before those came along.
Things of the past now for sure. I learned a lot about working on them and driving them on the farm doing things we probably shouldn't have been doing.

/ death of regular cab pickups #110  
As I got around to replacing my 30 year old extended cab with 8' bed, I realized that i would be hauling more people more often than cargo, so I got the 4 door with 6' bed and bought a 10' dump trailer for the hauling of heavy/long stuff.
I'm a fence sitter, so I opted for the "supercab" which is 1-1/2 rows of seats. I had many late 60's/early 70's trucks in my youth, and I'm totally nostalgic for being able to stand on the side of the bed and even see what's in it, let alone reach over and get something. (I'm 5'-9") I may look for one again on those fancy TV car auction shows or find one I can throw a Jasper engine in to revive.
I can't see forking over $50-80K for one of today's complex technological wonders.