Dead deer on side of road. That time of year.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #21  
Opposite in CO. There are so many people hunting now it is ridiculous. Last year was the first year I wasn’t able to draw any tag. Every year they set a new record for applicants and licenses sold. We have months and months of seasons now. Archery starts 9/2 and I still see orange out there today.

People just suck at hunting…
The problem in Missouri is trophy hunters. We have a lot of out of State hunters here. If it's not a trophy they let it walk by. Very common to find a carcass in the timber with the head and cape removed.

This past season only 17% of the Deer tagged in my County were by residents of the County. At least 90% of hunting ground is leased by these out of town hunters. You could forego seasons and let people hunt year around and we'd still be over populated.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #22  
We used to have a saying when heading home after an unsuccessful hunt the last day of the season... "only have a "fender shot" left...!

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #23  
That’s not hunting, that’s being an a-hole. Still, they wouldn’t be in the woods if it wasn’t hunting season.

I get POed when I see signs and other things shot up; people who do so are giving gun owners everywhere a bad name. A coworker at my first job out of college told of standing in the road with a bunch of his buddies, taking pot shots at a flashing red traffic light with his new Ruger .22 pistol. He would quip how tough that light was, they shot it multiple times before it finally broke.

More likely, they missed it multiple times and the bullet went flying off into someplace it shouldn’t have been.

That’s one reason I don’t believe that alcohol and gunpowder mix.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #24  
The problem in Missouri is trophy hunters. We have a lot of out of State hunters here. If it's not a trophy they let it walk by. Very common to find a carcass in the timber with the head and cape removed.

This past season only 17% of the Deer tagged in my County were by residents of the County. At least 90% of hunting ground is leased by these out of town hunters. You could forego seasons and let people hunt year around and we'd still be over populated.
Ain't that truth, even though this year they were scarce during rifle season. Still put 2 in the freezer. This year we are getting 2 more rifles season around here. Could make bow hunting a bit more challenging. Across the state they took just shy of 300K last season combined, not shabby. Yet I still had a dozen does try to run over me and my ATV.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #25  
Ain't that truth, even though this year they were scarce during rifle season. Still put 2 in the freezer. This year we are getting 2 more rifles season around here. Could make bow hunting a bit more challenging. Across the state they took just shy of 300K last season combined, not shabby. Yet I still had a dozen does try to run over me and my ATV.
As I was dressing this morning at dawn 3 were walking thru my yard.

50 years ago season noticably thinned the population. Doesn't seem to have an affect anymore.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #26  
I do have question though. I have heard about the devices you put on the front of your vehicle to prevent a person from hitting deer. I think it emits a tone of a certain frequency that deer will avoid. several folks told me they are useless, others say they work.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #27  
I do have question though. I have heard about the devices you put on the front of your vehicle to prevent a person from hitting deer. I think it emits a tone of a certain frequency that deer will avoid. several folks told me they are useless, others say they work.
They emit a high whistling sound.

When hunting and you flush a Deer, one of the ways to get it to stop running is to whistle......

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #28  
If it does spook them, it all depends which they want to run.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #29  
I believe the device you place on a car to have a better prevention rate of dear kills and car accidents, is a lighter foot on the throttle.
I have at least 8 deer kills a year on the road in front of my house. A known high deer area because of a creek. It is the high speed (over the speed limit vehicles) cars that usually hit the deer. If you are traveling slower you have more reaction time to slow down.

We have had several cars swerve to miss deer, that have ended up in the creek (25 foot enbankment) that runs through the property.
There used to be advertisements that speed kills, well so does swerving to miss a deer.
A better ad would have been, "Please hit the deer and save a life." LOL

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #30  
Moose used to be a problem here the way that some of you talk about deer. I hit three with the same pickup... two in one night. Every time I was able to get slowed down enough so that it didn't do much damage to either me or the animal. One near miss was on a motorcycle... it was so close that it seemed like she lifted her head so that I could go under it. Between an aggressive season and winter ticks they aren't as plentiful now.