Dead deer on side of road. That time of year.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #41  
They moved. Closest one is five hours away. The daddy lives further than that. Them two boys still come down and hunt that stand.
Have they ever gotten anything there?

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #42  
I once found an empty water bottle in a spread of white oaks on the side of a mountain I hunt...(not used to seeing other hunters there)...I went over a saddle and down to a white pine thicket and made a line of (fake) rubs on some larger saplings...(they looked real enough)...
...The next weekend there were two new ladder stands with good sight lines to the row of rubs I had made...!...I left notes on both that said they were on private property and they need to remove the stands and be gone...!

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #43  
On a recent trip from Mayfield Kentucky to Paducah Kentucky on Highway 45 we counted 18 dead deer in less than eighteen miles. This was northbound in the center and on the east side of the road. Don't know how many were on the other side of the four lane. Not talking about piles of bones these were all hit in the last week or so. All the divided highways around here are like this. At least one every mile. No wonder there are so many body shops in the area. And Kentucky ranks fourth among the states on deer vehicle collisions. We even see coyotes hit now. And the coons, possums, groundhogs, armadillos, and (ugh) skunks are too numerous to count.

Where was I going with this?

Oh yeah, I remember now.

And there were nearly 145,000 killed in legal hunting in 2022. So how many deer are lurking around the state? Do they outnumber the people? I didn't see one in the wild in our area until I was in my late teens. They just didn't exist.

RSKY
We have too many here, but the good thing is they move down to lower country when the snow gets deep enought so we don't see them for three months or the year or abouts. PLEASE feel free to come by and shoot some. (legally)

Last edited:
   / Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #45  
Interseting article about deer and vehicle accidents. What time of day and what time of year most deer are hit.