Dead deer on side of road. That time of year.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #32  
Moose used to be a problem here the way that some of you talk about deer. I hit three with the same pickup... two in one night. Every time I was able to get slowed down enough so that it didn't do much damage to either me or the animal. One near miss was on a motorcycle... it was so close that it seemed like she lifted her head so that I could go under it. Between an aggressive season and winter ticks they aren't as plentiful now.
Where I lived in northern Arizona, elk are the road hazards. I used to see 4-5 elk hits a week on the state highway near where I lived.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #33  
In the 70s through early 2000s ~3/4s to 1 million hunters would hit the woods during Michigan rifle season. Last season's count was 460 5k.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #34  
They're nasty. In fall you will be walking through the woods find where it looks like all of the shrubs are covered with mud; insteadn, it's millions of ticks. When a host walks by one tick will jump on and it's like a rope as thousands of ticks all join him. By the end of winter moose will have rubbed bare spots on their skin trying to get rid of them. If you look where they've bedded down it looks like squished grapes lying in patches of blood where they rubbed the ticks off. It's hard to believe that such a tiny bug can kill a 2000 lb animal.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #35  
They're nasty. In fall you will be walking through the woods find where it looks like all of the shrubs are covered with mud; insteadn, it's millions of ticks. When a host walks by one tick will jump on and it's like a rope as thousands of ticks all join him. By the end of winter moose will have rubbed bare spots on their skin trying to get rid of them. If you look where they've bedded down it looks like squished grapes lying in patches of blood where they rubbed the ticks off. It's hard to believe that such a tiny bug can kill a 2000 lb animal.

I’m glad that ticks aren’t very numerous in the forests where I work. I hear of all the precautions and sprays used by people in the eastern US and am thankful for just the gnats, mosquitoes, and yellow jackets.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #36  
I’m glad that ticks aren’t very numerous in the forests where I work. I hear of all the precautions and sprays used by people in the eastern US and am thankful for just the gnats, mosquitoes, and yellow jackets.
These specifically target moose, and congregate by the thousands.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #37  
I think the ticks are back in such large numbers because what was once farm fields, has reverted back to forest, which has allowed the animal population to rebound, from mice to deer, all of which the ticks go after. Some areas have controlled burns which is the only thing I can think of that will really remove the ticks from the large areas of woods.

We have seen huge number of ticks on some of the deer around the house. It is sickening to see and has to be horrible for the deer. Some deer seem to be more infected than others, which I suppose is just bad luck.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #38  
I had some friends once. Every time I seen a fresh runned over deer, Id throw it in my truck. Throw it out by their house. Maybe boo coodles of deer. Their dad was convinced they lived by a major crossing. Put a deer stand up and hunted that major crossing for years. I would always throw them out at night. Dropped them off for years. Never got caught.

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #39  
I had some friends once. Every time I seen a fresh runned over deer, Id throw it in my truck. Throw it out by their house. Maybe boo coodles of deer. Their dad was convinced they lived by a major crossing. Put a deer stand up and hunted that major crossing for years. I would always throw them out at night. Dropped them off for years. Never got caught.
Is that "had" as in past tense?

/ Dead deer on side of road. That time of year. #40  
Is that "had" as in past tense?
They moved. Closest one is five hours away. The daddy lives further than that. Them two boys still come down and hunt that stand.