Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #181  
Well, I’d like to throw my arms up and surrender like you cause that would be easy, but instead, I’d like to start new programs in secondary schools to encourage kids to take up jobs working with their hands and tamp down the Ivy league criticism of kids that want to do that, too.

I’d suggest the tarriffs again until the Chinese comply. Yes, there will be pain, but the alternative is worse.

If we don’t, you’ll be getting your next Cummins and pretty much everything else from China.

You want that?
My brother in law worked over 20 years fabricating Walker mowers in Fort Collins, Colorado. They had a a robust business until the tariffs increased their steel prices by 25%. They had to raise mower prices. Sales fell off and the company had to downsize their workforce. He voluntarily retired because he was eligible, just to allow younger people to stay employed. He told me that the tariffs hit all companies that do steel fabrication hard. I saw thousands of acres of soybeans being plowed under in Arkansas when China boycotted US agriculture. No I don’t have an answer to recreating a 1970s era manufacturing workforce in the U.S., but it’s obvious that simple tariffs have resulted in unintended consequences and were largely a bust that caused inflationary price increases.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #182  
"Well, I’d like to throw my arms up and surrender like you cause that would be easy, but instead, I’d like to start new programs in secondary schools to encourage kids to take up jobs working with their hands and tamp down the Ivy league criticism of kids that want to do that, too." Hay Dude

Think the "Ivy League" criticism of the working class had traction maybe 30 yrs ago, but the vocational/technical work ethic is more complex now. having been involved both in the trades (machinist) & vocational education for years, i've observed that a lot of youth really don't want to "work with their hands" (unless viewing cell phones or using game controllers)

it's a very different & complex work force we have now. & unfortunately, yes, i will continue to purchase at Harbor Freight, etc. & of course i'd like to see more domestic products, but the cure seems out of reach for now for the average consumer

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #183  
, but it’s obvious that simple tariffs have resulted in unintended consequences and were largely a bust that caused inflationary price increases.
Tariffs are such a simple fix until you add in the inflationary problem. We all saw this playing out but there are still people out there that can't seem to put 2 and 2 together. The FINAL payer of tariffs is the consumer. You may help one business with a tariff but over all the end result will be higher prices.....INFLATION.

Last edited:
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #184  
"Well, I’d like to throw my arms up and surrender like you cause that would be easy, but instead, I’d like to start new programs in secondary schools to encourage kids to take up jobs working with their hands and tamp down the Ivy league criticism of kids that want to do that, too." Hay Dude

Think the "Ivy League" criticism of the working class had traction maybe 30 yrs ago, but the vocational/technical work ethic is more complex now. having been involved both in the trades (machinist) & vocational education for years, i've observed that a lot of youth really don't want to "work with their hands" (unless viewing cell phones or using game controllers)

THAT right there is where we need to start programs to change the attitudes of young people. We need to let them know it’s “ok” to pursue a vocation.

it's a very different & complex work force we have now. & unfortunately, yes, i will continue to purchase at Harbor Freight, etc. & of course i'd like to see more domestic products, but the cure seems out of reach for now for the average consumer

You are not alone. We have to now. Entire American industries are gone.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #185  
lots of informed replies on the subject. my question is: how will a corporation like Cummins offset the massive fine? surely not out of the pockets of board or shareholders?
more than likely the cost will be passed to the consumer like you or me as usual.
unless regulations of the fine itself prohibit that. educate me
You got it. Every new truck I have got after all this emissions stuff went into full force in 2007, has had an "emission surcharge" right on the line sheet from the engine manufacturer.
It will be us that will pay the fine. Won't be out of their revenue.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #186  
points well taken

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #187  
Shouldn’t you be out makin hay or workin on a dump truck?

😉
This is the off season for making hay, so that is an impossible task in the winter.
So @Hay Dude has more time to state the obvious. Or what I may agree with or disagree with. Its all welcome for me.
Don't always agree with everything here, but an education is what I get most of the time I analyze what most people add to the conversation.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #188  
This is the off season for making hay, so that is an impossible task in the winter.
So @Hay Dude has more time to state the obvious. Or what I may agree with or disagree with. Its all welcome for me.
Don't always agree with everything here, but an education is what I get most of the time I analyze what most people add to the conversation.
Im pretty sure the eye winky thingy means I was teasing…….

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #189  
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #190  
Okey dokie but….. i’m blind in one eye and can’t see out of the other one and I can see it pretty plainly…..

Status
Not open for further replies.