Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #191  
It’s just rainy and gross outside, and my kids are home, so I’m just chillin.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #192  
What is the solution?
1. Make everything domestically and pay higher costs? Where do we find these workers when the U.S. is nearing full employment?
2. Make everything domestically but have no environmental or safety standards so our air and water is as poisoned as China’s? And no safety standards for workers.
This is the straw-iest of strawmen and I see it all the time. LITERALLY nobody is advocating zero regulations. Because fully unregulated was what made LA air so awful in the 60's. BUT... LA has a special problem with geography that makes this a much bigger problem for them than many places. So they needed more regulation but other places needed less. Note that less is not zero. So one can clearly make the leap that places with a bigger problem need tighter restrictions than those that do not. The right balance.

But it never stops growing. The people who make and enforce the regulations have nice well-paid jobs and want to keep them, so they keep finding more and more stuff to regulate until they are going after trivial stuff as that is all that is left. And then the same types in other areas feel the need to do the same so they start applying too much regulations to their environment much for the same reason. You will never hear any government/regulatory type say "I think we got it nailed now. No more need to go further." So we end up with OVERregulation. And the answer still is not zero, nor was it ever. The answer is a cost-benefit analysis (I mean a REAL one) that tries to strike a balance.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #193  
This is the straw-iest of strawmen and I see it all the time. LITERALLY nobody is advocating zero regulations. Because fully unregulated was what made LA air so awful in the 60's. BUT... LA has a special problem with geography that makes this a much bigger problem for them than many places. So they needed more regulation but other places needed less. Note that less is not zero. So one can clearly make the leap that places with a bigger problem need tighter restrictions than those that do not. The right balance.

But it never stops growing. The people who make and enforce the regulations have nice well-paid jobs and want to keep them, so they keep finding more and more stuff to regulate until they are going after trivial stuff as that is all that is left. And then the same types in other areas feel the need to do the same so they start applying too much regulations to their environment much for the same reason. You will never hear any government/regulatory type say "I think we got it nailed now. No more need to go further." So we end up with OVERregulation. And the answer still is not zero, nor was it ever. The answer is a cost-benefit analysis (I mean a REAL one) that tries to strike a balance.
The air was awful in the 60-70s in way more places than LA with its special geography. I remember brown choking air in small town AZ.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #194  
The air was awful in the 60-70s in way more places than LA with its special geography. I remember brown choking air in small town AZ.
Maybe BEANO was called for……

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #195  
Still nothing about ZERO regulations as the only alternative to excessive regulations...

LA was far from the only place with issues, but it was the worst there was.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #196  
But it never stops growing. The answer is a cost-benefit analysis (I mean a REAL one) that tries to strike a balance.
True, the POPULATION never stops growing. When the population doubles, the pollution problem doubles and so we must work harder to "strike a balance" as you say.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #197  
In the end, an economy that doesn’t make stuff will die. An economy can’t survive solely on support jobs, like fast food and import. We need to be mining, making steel, making vehicles, etc. and the government can’t keep taking more and more from its people.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #198  
^^^AMEN^^^

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #199  
The Clean Air Act is a federal law that was designed to "protect and improve the nation's air quality and the stratospheric ozone layer," according to the US Environmental Protection Agency.

Congress first enacted the law in 1963 and several major and minor changes have been made to it since its inception. It's the Environmental Protection Agency's role to uphold the law.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #200  
Is the end game to incrementally eliminate combustion of any sort vs cleaning up sources of combustion?

If the goal is to fundamentally forever eliminate combustion why not just just say it?

The Federal Government at one time was handing out tax credits for wood stoves and then rooftop hot water solar followed by the push away from wood to natural gas and now clean burning natural gas is slated for phase out.

Why is it America's Natural resources of wood, gas and oil and coal are always the targets...

Ive heard the term forced to fail.

If it was all about air quality we would have more hydro and nuclear right?

Status
Not open for further replies.