Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #201  
But it never stops growing. The people who make and enforce the regulations have nice well-paid jobs and want to keep them, so they keep finding more and more stuff to regulate until they are going after trivial stuff as that is all that is left.
Here in Europe we have the same problem with legislation from Brussels (European Union)

They even limited the power of vacuum cleaners to 1700 Watt, to enforce lowering energy consumption.

And now the sucker wont suck !!

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #202  
Well, that’s the problem here, most of the regulators in Washington DOES suck!

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #203  
Still nothing about ZERO regulations as the only alternative to excessive regulations...

LA was far from the only place with issues, but it was the worst there was.
LA was one of many. New York was supposed to be bad. Many cities used residential coal heating. Not only in the USA, but there are many stories that all of London simply turned BLACK. To the point that local moths even turned black through selective breeding.

Here in Springfield, OR we had a paper mill that STUNK. Mostly noted as one drove along HWY 126. Yet, there had to be local land owners that also were impacted by it.

There was a big kerfuffle in Albany, Oregon about Wah Chang.

WahChangStinks.gif

I remember about a mile of driving along I-5. It wasn't every once in a while, but the place always stunk. To the point I'd try to hold my breath while passing the plant.

Both the Paper plant in Springfield, and Wah Chang in Albany remain today, but they've made changes to reduce their stench.

I don't want to go back.

When I was young, we always had pretty orange sunsets. I haven't noticed them for quite some time, except while there are wildfires. I'm pretty sure those pretty orange sunsets we were looking at was air pollution.

I don't want to go backwards. Yet, at some point one might decide that the current air pollution regulations are good enough. So, we can go ahead with Tier 4, but not move onto Tier 5.

If electric vehicles take over in the next couple of decades, then gas and diesel exhaust will become less of a problem.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #204  
LA was one of many. New York was supposed to be bad. Many cities used residential coal heating. Not only in the USA, but there are many stories that all of London simply turned BLACK. To the point that local moths even turned black through selective breeding.

Here in Springfield, OR we had a paper mill that STUNK. Mostly noted as one drove along HWY 126. Yet, there had to be local land owners that also were impacted by it.

There was a big kerfuffle in Albany, Oregon about Wah Chang.

View attachment 841328

I remember about a mile of driving along I-5. It wasn't every once in a while, but the place always stunk. To the point I'd try to hold my breath while passing the plant.

Both the Paper plant in Springfield, and Wah Chang in Albany remain today, but they've made changes to reduce their stench.

I don't want to go back.

When I was young, we always had pretty orange sunsets. I haven't noticed them for quite some time, except while there are wildfires. I'm pretty sure those pretty orange sunsets we were looking at was air pollution.

I don't want to go backwards. Yet, at some point one might decide that the current air pollution regulations are good enough. So, we can go ahead with Tier 4, but not move onto Tier 5.

If electric vehicles take over in the next couple of decades, then gas and diesel exhaust will become less of a problem.
Friends born and raised in Hawaii and never recall any air pollution issues yet stations had to add tanks for unleaded…

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #205  
Friends born and raised in Hawaii and never recall any air pollution issues yet stations had to add tanks for unleaded…
Leaded fuel is simply a health hazard regardless of whether or not the air looks clean. Lead is poisonous and isn’t expelled from the body.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #206  
Leaded fuel is simply a health hazard regardless of whether or not the air looks clean. Lead is poisonous and isn’t expelled from the body.
She said her father was mandated to accommodate cars with catalytic converters… maybe I misunderstood?

Last edited:
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #207  
it's a very different & complex work force we have now. & unfortunately, yes, i will continue to purchase at Harbor Freight, etc. & of course i'd like to see more domestic products, but the cure seems out of reach for now for the average consumer
I used to love to go to Sears. Until they decided to shift all their tool manufacturing to China.

My brother in law worked over 20 years fabricating Walker mowers in Fort Collins, Colorado. They had a a robust business until the tariffs increased their steel prices by 25%. They had to raise mower prices. Sales fell off and the company had to downsize their workforce. He voluntarily retired because he was eligible, just to allow younger people to stay employed. He told me that the tariffs hit all companies that do steel fabrication hard. I saw thousands of acres of soybeans being plowed under in Arkansas when China boycotted US agriculture. No I don’t have an answer to recreating a 1970s era manufacturing workforce in the U.S., but it’s obvious that simple tariffs have resulted in unintended consequences and were largely a bust that caused inflationary price increases.

Did our former president even employ any economists? Or did he just decide to make changes based on his own gut feeling? The same one that claimed that he could make health care better without even having a plan. "Nobody Knew Health Care Could Be So Complicated" (well, except for those that had already written Obamacare).

Obviously raise foreign prices of a product, and domestic prices will go up a similar amount.

The tariffs may have been good for US Steel, but it was obvious it would have trickle down effects causing prices to increase everywhere from manufacturing to construction. Were tariffs only applied to the import of raw products, and not finished products?

But, it is always easiest for ***** to blame the next administration on the issues like inflation that he caused.

What percent of the cost of a zero turn mower (or a car or pickup for that matter) in the cost of steel?

Fortunately, or national unemployment remains low, with workers doing something.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #208  
I used to love to go to Sears. Until they decided to shift all their tool manufacturing to China.

Did our former president even employ any economists? Or did he just decide to make changes based on his own gut feeling? The same one that claimed that he could make health care better without even having a plan. "Nobody Knew Health Care Could Be So Complicated" (well, except for those that had already written Obamacare).

Obviously raise foreign prices of a product, and domestic prices will go up a similar amount.

The tariffs may have been good for US Steel, but it was obvious it would have trickle down effects causing prices to increase everywhere from manufacturing to construction. Were tariffs only applied to the import of raw products, and not finished products?

But, it is always easiest for ***** to blame the next administration on the issues like inflation that he caused.

What percent of the cost of a zero turn mower (or a car or pickup for that matter) in the cost of steel?

Fortunately, or national unemployment remains low, with workers doing something.
I’m wondering why Congress couldn’t introduce a bill to give tax credits to corporations that genuinely move production from overseas to the U.S.? Instead of the blanket tax cuts they received that often went to stock buybacks.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #209  
One of my very senior friends says America has had a very good run but nothing lasts forever…

I don’t know as Instill think many look forward to the golden years… time will tell.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #210  
I’m wondering why Congress couldn’t introduce a bill to give tax credits to corporations that genuinely move production from overseas to the U.S.? Instead of the blanket tax cuts they received that often went to stock buybacks.
Thats done on the local level.

Status
Not open for further replies.