Cultivator for garden

/ Cultivator for garden #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
Anyone out there using a cultivator behind their tractor in the garden? I would like to make my garden significantly bigger and maybe plant a separate sweet corn plot but don't have time to weed a garden bigger than what I have (about 30x30). My thought was to build or buy a cultivator that I could use behind the tractor to clean up the weeds. So who out there is successfully cultivating their garden?

/ Cultivator for garden #2  
Woodward Crossing is in Aaronsburg, Pennsylvania, possibly near where you are.

You can buy just the Wunderbar Cat 1 3-Pt Hitch, then buy any length of Toolbar (2" X 2" X 1/4" square tube) from your local welding shop or steel supplier, then select cultivating components you desire. You may want a 72" toolbar for your L5240.

They can ship max 48" Toolbar by UPS. UPS shipment in three packages is MUCH cheaper than LTL shipment on a pallet.

Woodward Crossing claims 85-hp rating for their 3-Pt hitch. It is massive.

In my purchase the hitch/tool-bar-holder component came well painted.

The 48" Toolbar was stock raw steel, and had a lip on one end, which disappointed me somewhat. I filed off the lip, then painted toolbar with spray Rustoleum. (I would have been willing to pay for Zinc Chromate dip.)

My Wunderbar S-tine cultivator is pulled by a friend's Kubota BX. It makes the BX look puny. The Wunderbar implement cultivates beautifully. It does not strain the BX 2230.

The Woodwards are nice people to deal with. Very helpful on the telephone.

LINK: Single Row Cultivator Bundle w/(4) S-Tines, 7" Sweeps, 3 Pt. Hitch & Toolbar

Last edited:
   / Cultivator for garden #3  
Agri-Supply Co (ASC) has something called a Keulavator Keulavator Frame, 3-Point Cultivator, Garden Plow | Agri Supply, 51946 that is basically a simple frame that can quickly swap hillers, sweeps, etc onto. I don't have it, so I can't comment on durability or if it works, but sounds like generally what you want.

Edit; I'm thinking you could fab up the basic frame fairly cheaply and then use there add on tillage attachments on your frame and save a lot of money (assuming of coarse you weld, and have access to cheap scrap metal)

/ Cultivator for garden #4  
The Woodward Crossings modular tool bar cultivator is more versatile.

There are a large number of modular tool bar components, from multiple venders, including Agri Supply, which fit 2" X 2" tool bars. You can buy any length 2" X 2" tool bar desired from a welding shop or steel wholesaler. With a fifth "S' tine and fifth 7" sweep we cultivate 48" rows between old Blueberry bushes in a single pass.

Tool bars lengths (2) of Keuvalator have combined length of 32"; 16" center gap is designed in, which limits its usefulness except as a single row cultivator. To me, clamping components on Keuvalator 1-3/8" diameter ROUND tool bars will be inherently less stable than clamping components on a 2" X 2" SQUARE tool bar.

I considered the Keuvalator before buying from Woodward Crossings. (Possibly on your suggestion, paulharvey.)

LINK: Keulavator Frame, 3-Point Cultivator, Garden Plow | Agri Supply, 51946

Last edited:
   / Cultivator for garden #5  
Another supplier for Tool Bar Cultivators and bolt-on components is BUCKEYE TRACTOR in Ohio. For some in mid-west freight would be less.

#31211 Tool Bar 3-Pt frame may have a welded-to-hitch, fixed length tool bar; I do not know.

LINK: Buckeye Tractor Online Catalog Page 20-02 Toolbars & Hitches

{Perhaps sole USA supplier of Chisel Plows built for 30-hp to 40-hp tractors.}

Last edited:
   / Cultivator for garden #6  
I recently took delivery of a 66" Dirt Dog Field Cultivator. I am researching cultivator Sweeps to occasionally substitute for standard 2" X 10" Chisel Points on five 1/2" width tines. I want to use the Field Cultivator with sweeps, probably 5 X 10", for 2" secondary tillage food plot preparation.

Note 1" tine spacing holes. Photo #2

Note Sweeps in Photo #7.

NICHOLS TILLAGE TOOLS LINK: Nichols Sweeps

Attachments

• DSC00349.jpg
    DSC00349.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC00348.jpg
    DSC00348.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,199
  • DSC00346.jpg
    DSC00346.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 758
  • Front Cover.jpg
    Front Cover.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 169
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 135
  • ferguson9bo-20fieldcultivator-007.jpg
    ferguson9bo-20fieldcultivator-007.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
   / Cultivator for garden #7  
I purchased one from Tractor Supply;removed the center two and made a "hiller/cultivator".Works nicely.
The disc's are bolt on so removed easily to reinstall the center two cultivators.
I also added "peanut"shares on the ends.Great all around tool,can be used as a chisel plow also.
Note: I did reverse the disc after this picture was taken(they are backwards in the pic)

Attachments

• 100_0877 (Small).jpg
    100_0877 (Small).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 437
   / Cultivator for garden #8  
I tilled my garden (50x75 ft) with a Yanmar RS1200 rototiller (48" wide) and my 2005 Kubota B7510HST. Tiller cost $250 from my local grey tractor dealer.

Kubota rototill-1.JPG

I also used a Bolens GT1453 garden tractor with a 32" rototiller for that job after I sold the 7510. Found it on Craigslist for $600 including a 48" mowing deck.

Bolens GT1453, rototiller-2.JPG

Good luck

/ Cultivator for garden #9  
I have a old ferguson sko-20 my grandpa used on small crops , it was set up for two row with side dresser but I switched it around for a single row , works really nice.

/ Cultivator for garden #10  
Stevens Tractor in Louisiana also sells a combination cultivator, bedder and middle buster (a/k/a potato plow) implement in 60" (6 shank) and 48" (4 shank) lengths.

Garden Package