Dirt Moving Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It?

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It?
Thanks for all the good info airbiscuit,I should have explained better that the Cub Cadet 8354SS 8404SS and 8454SS are really Kioti DK35 DK40 and DK45 painted yellow and white,without optional HST.
I bet being able to see the front edge of the bucket is everything when it comes to grading.And if just moving dirt or fill all day or for even an hour,the the CUT would not compare to a skid steer.That is why they were probably invented,here in Minnesota?
It seems like I use a CUT with a loader all year for loading heavy items into trucks or onto trailers,and only move dirt or fill for a couple weeks or so a year.I thought I would be buzzing around instead loading trucks with a skid steer until I thought about it.When I use a CUT to load things,I will chain or strap them to the bucket to lift them and have to stop and get off the tractor to unchain while the loader is up and sitting on the deck of a truck bed or trailer.
From what I hear getting out the front of a running skid steer to unchain something from the bucket is asking to crush a bone or two?
I have been reading old post's of people buying Cub Cadet's or Kioti DK45's from five years ago,back then they were only paying 13K,with 500 or less hrs.I also read of someone buying a new Cub Cadet 8354 in 2005 with loader for 15k.Used prices have not gone down even though the tractors are 5 yrs older?Maybe prices on new 45HP CUT have gone up so much in the last 5 years is the reason?
I am thinking of going ahead and buying the Cub Cadet 8454SS loader tractor this week.Use it to get the few landscaping and grading projects done that I do and mostly use it for loading trucks and other fun tractor stuff.

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It? #12  
....Maybe prices on new 45HP CUT have gone up so much in the last 5 years is the reason?

I am thinking of going ahead and buying the Cub Cadet 8454SS loader tractor this week....
You are correct about prices have gone up... Also, I don't think that Cub Cadet would last a week without being sold down here!

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It? #13  
I wouldn't be afraid of the Cub because of the tranny.
I do not have HST and "Ignorance is Bliss". Do I wish I did? Dunno. Would I trade 10 year old, 750 HR tractor off for one? Absolutely not. Loader work I agree, it would be nice. Everything else? Meh. I look at it like an automatic tranny pickup. When it breaks, it goes to their shop and it's gonna be expensive. If/when my clutch goes out, it's going to MY shop and $300ish.
So for me, the convenience is not worth the extra cost for purchase or repairs.

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It?
Thanks for your reply fidowanttobe,I have had just two HSD tractors,I do like them,they would be great for doing loader work and grading.But I have never had the HSD go out,I think that would be very spendy and put a bad taste in my mouth.
To me when you are pulling allot of weight or in a real tight spot or trying to get un-stuck a gear tractor works better.I have heard that with Shutle Shift you can use the foot throttle and shuttle between forward and reverse,makes it almost as fast as HST.
Actually I talked to the dealership today and this Cub Cadet 8454SS needed a new clutch a year ago with less than 500hrs on it.The tractor was used mainly with a brush hog mower so maybe that had something to do with it?
I wrote a check for it and now just waiting for the check to clear before bringing it home.

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It? #15  
Thanks for all the good info airbiscuit,...
I bet being able to see the front edge of the bucket is everything when it comes to grading.And if just moving dirt or fill all day or for even an hour,the the CUT would not compare to a skid steer.That is why they were probably invented,here in Minnesota?

The first "skidsteer" was actually a 3 wheel loader (with a 6.5 hp engine) designed to clean manure out of a 2 story turkey barn! A few iterations later it became a 4 wheel skidsteer.

Congratulations on your tractor. You will like the power and weight, and those Kioti underpinnings. Post pics of it in action.

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It? #16  
Congrats on the tractor... don't forget the photos when you get her home ;)

There has been a HST problem or two on TBN but not many. Yes they are expensive when you need to fix them but were they maintained correctly??? who knows... they are "protected" with a pressure bypass valve. So, unless you don't maintain them, they protect themselves... at least that is my understanding.

All I know is that I've worked with both and I can work a longer day (easier) without having to push the clutch in so much. The older I get the more I like it... Your mileage may vary.

{second thoughts, I do hate to have to rev. the rpms so high to "work" a hst - I hate the whine noise - Love the sound of old tractors running a low rpms, but again it comes down to how much work I can get done}

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It? #17  
{second thoughts, I do hate to have to rev. the rpms so high to "work" a hst - I hate the whine noise - Love the sound of old tractors running a low rpms, but again it comes down to how much work I can get done}

Kind of like listening to the sound of a Harley :cheerful:

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It?
2017-04-05 18.30.19.jpg
I finally got it home,it is a beast!

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It? #19  
...I finally got it home,it is a beast!
It looks unstoppable... on your first post you talked about "...2006 Cub Cadet 8454 with 640 loader for $13K..." Is that one of the new Camouflage loaders?

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It? #20  
Where's the loader?