Dirt Moving Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It?

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It? #1  

CANMAR

Tractor
Cub Cadet 8454 Cub Cadet 7305 Mitsubishi MT372
I was close to buying a very used skid steer for $10K.I am now thinking a 45HP tractor with loader 1600lb lift would do the job and would be getting allot more for the money?Both weigh around 5500lbs.
That's why I am looking at a 2006 Cub Cadet 8454 with 640 loader for $13K,it is in good condition with 500hrs.
The very used skid steer's have 2000-4000hrs in this price range.Does anyone think this tractor would do dirt work like a skid steer?

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It? #2  
"dirt work" is pretty vague... Is it commercial dirt work? Or occasionally? IS it moving mountains or leveling out flat spots? I like the tractor since it can do so much more... That seems like a good price for the hours and hp size.

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It?
Thanks for your reply teg,sorry I did not explain what I would need it for.I am planning on demo and grading for a new garage for my house,also one or two landscaping projects a year on properties I buy and sell.
With the small tractor I have now I seem to use it mostly for loading heavy items in a truck or on a trailer,I would be replacing it with the 45HP.
My sister bought a new Cub Cadet 7305 for mowing,it is a great machine.I know why now,my small tractor now is a Mitsubishi MT2001D.I have never owned a Kioti tractor like the CC8454.
Would the Cub Cadet 8454SS work well for me for moving 10-20 yards of fill on a project and grading work for concrete like a skid steer?

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It? #4  
Skid steer are fast and powerful and would do the work you need done much faster but the 45 hp tractor can easily do the work. Adding a tooth bar (or teeth on the bucket) and hydraulic Top-N-Tilt for a box blade would be the ticket. Plus if you have a property that needs mowing, the tractor would shine.

ONLY thing I don't like about it, I would prefer HST (hydrostatic) drive. Much easier for tight spaces and less work (shifting) to get the job done. The skid steer would work better with this. Only thing I don't like about skid steers are how they tear the ground up.

I would make sure that you will not need the small tractor before replacing it... they are fine to sit around for awhile.

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It? #5  
Why would you consider a tractor that has been out of production for 6 years?
Where will you get parts? Dirt work is abusive to tractor parts,,, you will need parts.

Let someone else own that tractor,, get a tractor that has local dealer support,,
and,,,, GET A HST,,, :thumbsup:

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It?
I do not do grading and landscaping every day and I agree a skid steer would get things done allot faster.I did not think about the tractor being gear drive compared to a skid steer,a tractor would be slower.It would not matter to me much how long a project takes, I am not bidding where I would make more money by getting a project done faster.
Did you mean to tilt the top of a box blade with a hydraulic top link?I have used box blades for grading and they work well for me only when I get it to sit at the correct angle when it lowers to grade level.Is that what the top link cylinder would do?

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It? #7  
Yes, hydraulic top link will change the angle of the box blade from cutting into the dirt to smoothing out the dirt in seconds without getting off the tractor. A real time saver to get it at the angle you want... much easier and faster.

Easy if the tractor has rear remotes, a bit expensive to add those remotes if it doesn't already have them (but worth it).

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It?
I agree a HST tractor would be better for tractor with a loader .My only experience with dealerships is they are more concerned with keeping their grip on availability of parts to keep the prices high and finding ways to reject warranty work.
I found that almost all parts for the Cub Cadet tractors are available on the internet and reasonably priced,I have not tried the Kioti dealer's yet.
I am working on a New Holland 5' 3 point tiller,New Holland wants $150 for a flange that connects to the output of the gear reduction box,and $550 for the other flange connecting to the shaft going to the tiller chain case.I had to make my own flanges,they are just a short piece of 1-3/4" pipe welded to a flat piece of steel with holes to bolt them together.
So if I buy something that is "supported" by a dealership eventually I will have to make my own parts anyway?

/ Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It?
Thanks for the suggestion,getting the correct angle must be the trick to getting the most out of a box blade.The Cub Cadet 8454SS has a rear remote with a control for it to the right of the seat.

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet 8454 Buy It? #10  
I pretty much agree agree with all the comments so far, which means I am conflicted. I have owned a skid steer and I currently own a 40hp shuttle with a loader. For dirt work, landscaping, concrete prep, the skid steer wins hands down. The maneuverability, being able to see the front edge of the bucket, the compact size, hydro makes the skid steer about 4 times faster with a better result.

That said, I sold my skid steer to buy a CUT. I wanted it for loader work, mowing trails, snow removal, and driveway maintenance. For those tasks, it beats the skid steer. I have been very pleased with my decision, and although I had a 33hp Hydro, I don't mind the shuttle on my 40 hp.

I would suggest you make up your own pros & cons list.

My list would include ...

Skid steer:
Best for dirt working - may cost more-have higher hours. More difficult to maintain and repair. Less versatile for other tasks.

Cub Cadet - less good for dirt work, but more versatile for other tasks. Good price for a 45 hp tractor with loader. Easier to maintain, but kind of an orphan tractor - Cub Cadet CUTs no longer in production. May be hard to get parts and affect resale value.

If it was a 45 hp John Deere, Kioti, Kubota or New Holland for that price, I'd say get the CUT. I'm conflicted about the Cub Cadet. I might keep looking.

Make up your own pros and cons list and see if it speaks to you.

PS: If you're doing a lot of loader work with a CUT, I second the motion about having a tooth bucket. It's like having more free hp and traction, and I actually like how you can use it for backblading (especially if sod/roots are mixed in the dirt)