Crimping hydraulic hoses at home?

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #41  
Can hydraulic hoses be crimped at home using a vise or something similar and dies? I would really like to crimp my own fittings on 1/4 one wire hydraulic hose. I looked but did not find an inexpensive way to do this. But with all the DIY knowledge on this site I am hoping someone here knows how to do this.
Thanks,
Eric
I found the best thing to do is to buy threaded fitting, that can be used over and over and just buy replacement hoses and screw on. I buy my fittings at surpluscenter.com. Cheapest place to buy them. You have to pay postage, But the postage is very reasonable, and their low prices, pay for the postage on small orders. It takes about a week to get the order delivered. Their products are quality.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #43  
Just use these.
I did every hose on my dozer with these years ago, ZERO ISSUES.
These twist on fittings are as old as the world, i use them too if need be.
Fast and easy even out in the field . Use and reuse, a hell of a lot cheaper and faster than driving to town to get an whole new hose made up.
But i guess in this day and age of wasting resources people rather fill the landfill.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #44  
Wonder if the creator in the first YT video is still alive? He's on borrowed time from what I can see. You don't EVER use sweated copper fittings for compressed air lines, a bomb waiting to go off and kill you. Air lines, especially over 135 psi, MUST be run in threaded pipe, always, unless you have a death wish.

My shop is 100% in threaded black pipe with WOG valves on the drops, all of them. You'll never find anything else in an industrial setting.
Interesting perspective. Can you cite any gov. building or industrial code that supports that? Reason I ask is that before I retired, I worked for USPS in a medium sized mail processing facility. They use a *lot* of air for all sorts of stuff in those facilities. About 15 years ago, they replaced the compressor (new one was, IIRC, a 50 HP screw compressor) and all the corroding black iron in the building with copper; all the 'trunk' lines were 2". All the copper in the building used sweated joints. The only one that ever let go was when one of the mechanics forgot to completely depressurize the system before putting a torch to a joint to open the system to add a drop.

There was a time when USPS was exempt from things like OSHA regs, but that's long gone (I bought at auction a bunch of power tools they had to replace when the rules kicked in). I'd be amazed if the (very expensive) complete rebuild of the air system in that facility didn't comply with the most strict of industrial codes.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #47  
Really? Does it cut cleanly through the wire weave?
Yup if the axe is sharp & your are good with an axe. I wasn't very good with it.
Don't think it would work on 1 inch 4 wire hose though, but we never blew any of those on the Prentice 410.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #48  
Wonder if the creator in the first YT video is still alive? He's on borrowed time from what I can see. You don't EVER use sweated copper fittings for compressed air lines, a bomb waiting to go off and kill you. Air lines, especially over 135 psi, MUST be run in threaded pipe, always, unless you have a death wish.

My shop is 100% in threaded black pipe with WOG valves on the drops, all of them. You'll never find anything else in an industrial setting.
My dad has been using pvc pipe for well over 25 years. Pipe is under pressure all day every day. My brother bought some roll out thin wall pipe that I installed for him. All the Tees and Ells were compression fittings. I promise you I had never seen such before. It may have been aluminum pipe, thin too.
Yup if the axe is sharp & your are good with an axe. I wasn't very good with it.
Don't think it would work on 1 inch 4 wire hose though, but we never blew any of those on the Prentice 410.
Exactly what unc was doing. Lay it across a stump and cut it. They kept a crimp machine with them.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #49  
My question would be, what is the static pressure. In my system, it's 175 psi.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #50  
Friend of mine said he picked up hose (making) crimp machine, but no fittings. I ordered a couple of fittings so we can try it.
Just need help to learn how to cut hose properly
I would get some metal, made out of steel, cut off wheels for a grinder. You can also get a metal blade for a skil saw that is steel itself. Run it in a miter saw. Don't use abrasive blades because hose pinches easy and the abrasive blade will come pay you a visit.