Crimping hydraulic hoses at home?

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #22  
Does anybody have a good method for cutting hydraulic hose without contaminating the inside of the hose with debris?
Good question. I use a cutoff grinding wheel and it gets dirt inside. I try to get it all cleaned out by hand and then blow air through. I can't think of any better way to do it.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #23  
To clean the inside of a hose, my first thought is that if it is short enough, pull one of the flexible rifle bore cleaners, wetted with a bit of hydraulic fluid through it.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #24  
I see clean cut hose tools for big $$$ - yikes. I want to cut an existing hose to insert a flow valve. My thought is to cut the outer wire with the grinder and finish with a knife. I don't know if I can do this but that is the current thought.
Feedback?

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #25  
Home crimping is a non issue here as we have a Parker Hannifin retail store close by and they have everything required including fittings and hose. Who I use. Convenient and reasonably priced.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #26  
The crimping mechanism is the easy part of hose making, whether it be a simple shop press or a dedicated crimp machine.
Having the right fittings and hose materials in hand when needed is another whole different animal when you have a breakdown and in a hurry.
Field attachable hose ends are great but can be an issue when doing a mix and match with different brands and hose types. The DIY’er can get away with using whatever is avail to get the job done but the professional hose fabricator is putting himself out there with liability if the repaired hose fails
Years ago before getting into Gates hose crimp system I used to use Aeroquip FC300 (SAE 100-R5 single braid med pressure hose-DOT approved with cotton cover). I had a bucket of field attachables and a bucket of misc short pieces of raw hose, It got me by in a pinch, but the fittings were only designed to work with 100-R5 hose.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #27  
A while back I picked up an 8-ton swaging press. I use it for swaging thermoplastic hydraulic hoses (bucket trucks etc). It originally was made for swaging 1 and 2 wire rubber coated Couplamatic hyd hose but all my Synflex type pushers and dies fit perfectly. Pretty neat system but I think the company is gone and fittings obsolete.
Swaging is a bit different than crimping cuz it’s like pushing the fitting into a funnel vs individual finger dies to squeeze fittings from the sides.

Attachments

• F7A24619-33EB-4C55-BEFC-88B07E0DE05A.jpeg
    F7A24619-33EB-4C55-BEFC-88B07E0DE05A.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 68
   / Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #28  
Wonder if the creator in the first YT video is still alive? He's on borrowed time from what I can see. You don't EVER use sweated copper fittings for compressed air lines, a bomb waiting to go off and kill you. Air lines, especially over 135 psi, MUST be run in threaded pipe, always, unless you have a death wish.

My shop is 100% in threaded black pipe with WOG valves on the drops, all of them. You'll never find anything else in an industrial setting.

Ummm. No

CDA, PVAC, N2, H2/N2, O2, CO2, MA, NO2, He, etc are run in copper in industrial, factory and healthcare settings all the time

Current project I’m on has CDA in aluminum 3-6” and Copper/Viega 1/2”-2”. Not a huge CDA plant, but larger than your typical home shop at 4,060cfm @ 125psi

Only reason the larger sizes are in Al is it is cheaper than Cu and faster to assemble.

I’d share your opinion on plain PVC, which has been known to rupture and splinter into a million pieces when hit under pressure. Some still believe it is perfectly ok in their shop.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #29  
Bnold…….did you post this on the wrong thread?

Edit: yep, I see post #12 now.

Last edited: