Crimping hydraulic hoses at home?

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Can hydraulic hoses be crimped at home using a vise or something similar and dies? I would really like to crimp my own fittings on 1/4 one wire hydraulic hose. I looked but did not find an inexpensive way to do this. But with all the DIY knowledge on this site I am hoping someone here knows how to do this.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #3  
Got a bottle jack hydraulic press?

glean more insight here:

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home?
Got a bottle jack hydraulic press?

glean more insight here:

Thanks for the links, I'll look at them tonight. I do have a machine shop so I could make rings.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #6  
I've never even considered DIY. There is a business in Spokane - House of Hose - that will do anything I need.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #7  
Can hydraulic hoses be crimped at home using a vise or something similar and dies? I would really like to crimp my own fittings on 1/4 one wire hydraulic hose. I looked but did not find an inexpensive way to do this. But with all the DIY knowledge on this site I am hoping someone here knows how to do this.
Thanks,
Eric
I have three cranes. One of them lifts 30,000# 70 feet high. Everything on it is a non crimp field fitting. Other two cranes are smaller and have field fittings also. So I'm fine with screw on field fittings.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #8  
I've used quite a few field fittings too, but if a version exists for 1 wire hose (more flexible) I've yet to find it. I worked instrumentation the last 34 years before retiring and have tubing benders up to 5/8, so if I need sharper bends I'll just do steel tube, I have JIC swage lock fittings for that... Steve

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #9  
The profit margins for making hoses aren’t that good and small hoses are cheap anyway. Just have a shop make them. A hose machine has significant clamping pressure. There’s no way a vice would work. A shop press could be made to work but you would need several hundred dollars in dies and plates to make it work.

/ Crimping hydraulic hoses at home? #10  
The profit margins for making hoses aren’t that good and small hoses are cheap anyway. Just have a shop make them. A hose machine has significant clamping pressure. There’s no way a vice would work. A shop press could be made to work but you would need several hundred dollars in dies and plates to make it work.
If I had thousands of dollars to burn on bulk hose and fittings I'd have no trouble spending several more thousand on a saw, crimping machine and dies. Very cost effective for making maybe a couple of hoses a year. Think of all the time I could save calling my supplier, ordering the hose, and going to pick it up the same day.