Craftsman GT5000 Engine Cuts Out, Struggles, Then is Okay

/ Craftsman GT5000 Engine Cuts Out, Struggles, Then is Okay #21  
Roustabout,

A timely post on your part. So her engine is running like a top except it doesn't want to idle smoothly. Bring it back towards idle and, well, I probably should have attempted to adjust the idle screw. In my feeble defense it took me 5 hours to remove, clean and replace her carburetor (those linkages with springs are tricky, plus I was watching the video!) and I wanted to get it over to her place as spring time grass grows at frightening rates in Kentucky. They don't call it the Bluegrass State for nothing.

Well, the last three times I cut the engine it did backfire. But I'm wondering if it was because I hadn't pulled the throttle all the way back idle when I turned off the key?

No, those things work or you can't start it. Or it will kill the engine when hot and not start until it cools off some. I have also seen grass get in the gas tank and cause problems. It wasn't from kids, it just got in there over time.

/ Craftsman GT5000 Engine Cuts Out, Struggles, Then is Okay
Update and fix...I found a YouTube video of how to remove, clean, and replace the carb. It was step by step - really great. I set up my iPad in the garage and, with trepidation but also determination, got it off. I sprayed it thoroughly with carb cleaner (that stuff is cold through a latex glove!), put it back on and now the engine runs as advertised.

I didn't see ANY dirt anywhere in the carb, but I know small clearances can get clogged.

Thanks again for the help.

/ Craftsman GT5000 Engine Cuts Out, Struggles, Then is Okay
Also...routing the choke cable so it had less of a bend in it, and lubricating it, fixed that problem.