Cottage Carport

/ Cottage Carport #11  
Think about insulating the roof to prevent condensation and the drips that come with it.

/ Cottage Carport
Got quote for the trusesses from local company - OUCH!

Ordered 31x24x8 carport from Versatube, ships 1/4/20 so should get it by end of January.

Company has some screwy policies I might have to inquire about. They don’t want web site direct orders to Hawaii so no way to put Hi in your address. Salesman advised me put Ca as I’m having unit shipped from Az factory to Hawaii shipper in LA and I pay the over ocean charges. Not unusual, I’ve actually done this many times, except this time I end up being charged Ca sales tax, more than double what my Hi tax would have been. A bit strange, and technically I probably owe the Hawaii tax.

/ Cottage Carport #13  
I'm kind of amazed that it's cost effective to buy a kit and have it shipped there for less than building the carport yourself out of lumber.

/ Cottage Carport
The price of paradise, Eddie. I was a bit shocked at the cost of the trusses, but just the 6 trusses exceeded cost of the complete carport kit shipped. And that didn’t include the posts, rafters, purlins, simpsons etc. I potentially lose about 24sf useable space, but won’t miss it. Tempted at some point to relook stick built cost if I did posts @ 12ft, but I have a feeling the kit would still be attractive if I considered labor. I’ve almost always built my own stuff from scratch so a mental departure for me. I did build the house from sips and that was interesting.

/ Cottage Carport #15  
Looks like I知 going a completely different, thanks to Dale and his VersaTube link. Looking at a 31x24x8 carport.

I used a VersaTube carport kit as a woodshed. After retiring, my wife and I moved back to Minnesota and wanted to use wood heat since we have 80 acres and more trees than we could burn in a lifetime. We had the concrete slab poured when we were doing our sidewalks and deck supports. We put the VersaTube kit up ourselves. Their directions are first-rate, in my opinion....very easy to follow.

20180829_170018.jpg

/ Cottage Carport
Very nice. 🤙

/ Cottage Carport #17  
Got quote for the trusesses from local company - OUCH!

Ordered 31x24x8 carport from Versatube, ships 1/4/20 so should get it by end of January.

Company has some screwy policies I might have to inquire about. They don’t want web site direct orders to Hawaii so no way to put Hi in your address. Salesman advised me put Ca as I’m having unit shipped from Az factory to Hawaii shipper in LA and I pay the over ocean charges. Not unusual, I’ve actually done this many times, except this time I end up being charged Ca sales tax, more than double what my Hi tax would have been. A bit strange, and technically I probably owe the Hawaii tax.

California is upside down... IT will tax everything and every thing falls under PROP 65 warning (and ban)... Calif needs to vote out ruling party for something more reasonable....

Dale

/ Cottage Carport
Closing in with carport prep. 36, 80lb and 6, 60lb bags of Quikcrete. Rented a mixer from HD for 1st day when a neighbor helped with slab. Wheelbarrow mix by self for the smaller areas.

Step painted today and temporarily back in place. Will replace the 4x6 wooden blocks with concrete blocks. Not sure of final length yet.
View attachment 634688
Concrete basically done except the cleanup, then need to work on placement of the carport supports (red line). Setting too close to the cottage and the verticals become obtrusive, too far away and the end post is potentially a problem in tying into number 2, but I will have to modify regardless. Won’t do anything permanent until pieces are in hand (ships Jan 2). Verticals are spaced 5,5,5,5, & 4 ft. Similar to below with 1 more section

View attachment 634690
This last piece of concrete ties in pieces from 4 previous pours over 15 year period:

#1 was part of original construction to give a dry place out of the mud for generator, batteries, washer & dryer, etc.
#2 was for initial solar panel install, just 6 post slanted frame. Latter enclosed and roofed to house washer & dryer, water pump & tank.
#3 was part of driveway pour for walkway.
#4 was this summers driveway expansion.

A very different vision from 2004

/ Cottage Carport #19  
That looks like a ton of weight for Dexion, on the Battery rack.