Cottage Carport

/ Cottage Carport #1  

sodamo

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H (Mine) BX2380 (wife’s)
I’m drawing up my future carport for my cottage. More than parking cars, the intent is capture rainwater for catchment storage. You can see the 3k gal tank in pic.

Roof will be 26 gauge corrugated steel on 2x4 rafters, no underlay, .5-12 slope. Prefer 8’ headroom on entry, 7ft in rear allowing gutter and tank connection.

Posts will be 4x6, 6’ oc.
Originally I was going with a 12’ span, but the powers that be expressed preference for 24’ clear span, which is what leads me to the TBN well of knowledge.
While I might be able to make the span with beams of either 3x 2x12 or 4x 2x10, I’m not sure. I did find a suitable truss online but was 14” deep, more than I want, preferring to stay 10” if possible.
That lead me to wonder if a 10” truss clad with 1/2 plywood each side might work with the verticals at approx 3’ intervals.
As shown in pic, I need 2 @ 37.5 ft and 3 @ 35 ft.

Here are my rather crude renderings of my carport I have submitted to local manufacturer for Truss work up. This is not a perfect rectangle due to existing structure. That structure would also support non post ends.

I have a height concern at existing lanai roof that likely affect using an open truss, so wondering if achievable using a shorter truss clad with plywood. Probably a name for it, but I don”t know.

So any TBN expertise appreciated. I will follow up with the feedback from the truss manufacturer.

Cottage Carport-HPM.jpg

/ Cottage Carport #2  
Roof will be 26 gauge corrugated steel on 2x4 rafters, no underlay, .5-12 slope.

I built a small one like that. I wish I had plywood under. I can't walk on it to clean off leaves, etc. Not enough slope for water flow to clean it.

Bruce

/ Cottage Carport
I built a small one like that. I wish I had plywood under. I can't walk on it to clean off leaves, etc. Not enough slope for water flow to clean it.

Bruce

It could be a challenge. I will put the rafters 16 oc, the purlins 24 oc.
Fortunately we don’t have a lot of leaves to worry about. I would do more pitch but need to be mindful of rear for gutter and tank hookup and thinking too high in front will not look good.

/ Cottage Carport #6  
With that much span this is a good area to use steel. Fyi no steel roof manufacture says there roofing is good for a 0.5/12. I believe the lowest slope is a PBR panel and it's 2/12.

Even 3 2x12 with plywood in between each won't span 12' here...but I'm in the snow area.

/ Cottage Carport #7  
If it was me, I would buy two 24 foot gluelam beams. Here in East Texas, I can buy one for $259 from the local lumber yard. It's 14 inches tall. Shop 3-1/8x14-24' Glulam at McCoy's

I would install one beam across the entrance at the height you want it. Then the other in the middle of your carport up higher so that you create a gable type roof. This will take care of all your engineering and simplify the construction. Then install rafters on top of the beam and slope them down to the front entrance and to the back. This will give you a nice slope for catching water. Use gutters on either end to run the water to the tank.

/ Cottage Carport
Looks like I’m going a completely different, thanks to Dale and his VersaTube link. Looking at a 31x24x8 carport.

One of my challenges is working around the existing structures. Would have been much easier if they weren’t a concern.

/ Cottage Carport #9  
Looks like I’m going a completely different, thanks to Dale and his VersaTube link. Looking at a 31x24x8 carport.

One of my challenges is working around the existing structures. Would have been much easier if they weren’t a concern.

Just be aware its a giant "tinker toy set" .. Follow instructions.... Or may be get help from someone who assembles KIT type structures...

Dale

/ Cottage Carport
Just be aware its a giant "tinker toy set" .. Follow instructions.... Or may be get help from someone who assembles KIT type structures...

Dale

Even worse it will require a couple of on site modifications. One side the legs require height extensions as the base will be lower than other side. The second segment crosses the walkway, so will have to cut out, then those remaining legs will be about 5 inches higher than the 1st 2. My roofing is in 12 ft sheets so has to be cut with the cottage side possibly longer for better gutter. I’ll probably have as much time in the instructions and just looking as the actual construction will take. But all in all, I’m anticipating some physical work savings compared to stick built. Each piece individually handled, most multiple times and all those Simpson ties with all the nails. I would have prepainted all the wood two coats before any assembly and then redone the cuts. Probably just hit the metal cuts with galvanized spray. I do have a bit more prep work regarding the concrete though.
I will have a helper or two

As for tinker toys, pleasant memories. In another thread I talked about building my battery shelves as being akin to a big erector set, but I had to design that one.

IMG_0963.JPG

All filled up
IMG_0967.JPG

Except the concrete, looking to be a fun project.