garage door headroom challenge for lean-to

/ garage door headroom challenge for lean-to #1  

s219

Tractor
Kubota L3200, Deere X380, Kubota RTV-X
I am looking to add an enclosed lean-to onto an eave wall of my barn to park a car in. Been grappling with some decisions and tradeoffs and feel like I need TBN input.

In order to make this project "sane" and keep it to a short timeline with minimal disruption to the main barn, I want to have the new lean-to tuck under an existing eave and not disrupt the current roof or make my framing complicated. I have 10' of clearance under the eave. I want to make the lean-to 12' or 14' wide. Ideally I want a 9x7 garage door centered on the gable end, but do the math with minimal 2:12 or 3:12 roof pitches and framing (2x8 or 2x10 rafters depending on pitch and width) and there just isn't enough interior height to get a 7' tall garage door in there with the track and hardware even if I go with a low-headroom setup.

I've looked at this every which way and a 9x7 garage door just doesn't look doable unless I go with an even shallower roof pitch and I think that's a bad idea for shedding water and handling snow in the winter. Only other recourse is make custom swing-out doors, which is what I did on my other lean-to (picture below). Those work fine for day to day use of the barn, but clearly won't be as efficient as a garage door with power opener when it comes to pulling in with a car.

Anybody think of a better solution? I have also considered making a totally new structure that doesn't have to tie into the barn, but that has it's own set of disadvantages. I like the lean-to idea because they go up quick, cost is minimal, and I can easily tap into electrical power from the barn for lights, door opener, etc.

thanks,

---------------------------------------------------------
Picture: existing lean-to on rear gable end of barn.
3:12 Roof pitch. 12' wide.
8' wide door opening.
Doors opening height ranges from 7' to 9'.

IMG_7482.jpg

/ garage door headroom challenge for lean-to #3  
You don't say by how much the too tight of fit is...is it headroom after the fact that is the issue?
Why not a modified or custom overhead door?

FWIW...the new firehouse they recently built here has a new type of bay doors that are not overhead doors but are similar to bi-fold doors...they open very fast...!

/ garage door headroom challenge for lean-to #4  
What happens if you go to 2x4s and beef up the roof system, sort of half-truss? Does that yield the clearance?

Second thought would be to alter the stock door height if possible.

/ garage door headroom challenge for lean-to #5  
P
I am looking to add an enclosed lean-to onto an eave wall of my barn to park a car in. Been grappling with some decisions and tradeoffs and feel like I need TBN input.

In order to make this project "sane" and keep it to a short timeline with minimal disruption to the main barn, I want to have the new lean-to tuck under an existing eave and not disrupt the current roof or make my framing complicated. I have 10' of clearance under the eave. I want to make the lean-to 12' or 14' wide. Ideally I want a 9x7 garage door centered on the gable end, but do the math with minimal 2:12 or 3:12 roof pitches and framing (2x8 or 2x10 rafters depending on pitch and width) and there just isn't enough interior height to get a 7' tall garage door in there with the track and hardware even if I go with a low-headroom setup.

I've looked at this every which way and a 9x7 garage door just doesn't look doable unless I go with an even shallower roof pitch and I think that's a bad idea for shedding water and handling snow in the winter. Only other recourse is make custom swing-out doors, which is what I did on my other lean-to (picture below). Those work fine for day to day use of the barn, but clearly won't be as efficient as a garage door with power opener when it comes to pulling in with a car.

Anybody think of a better solution? I have also considered making a totally new structure that doesn't have to tie into the barn, but that has it's own set of disadvantages. I like the lean-to idea because they go up quick, cost is minimal, and I can easily tap into electrical power from the barn for lights, door opener, etc.

thanks,

---------------------------------------------------------
Picture: existing lean-to on rear gable end of barn.
3:12 Roof pitch. 12' wide.
8' wide door opening.
Doors opening height ranges from 7' to 9'.

View attachment 612537

Look at some of the mundane to fancy bi fold garage doors offered today.

bifold garage door - Google Search

/ garage door headroom challenge for lean-to #6  
Any way to lower the floor to give you the headroom? Doesn't say whether there is an existing concrete floor or not. A picture of the area would help if you have one.

Lnk

/ garage door headroom challenge for lean-to #7  
Reverse gable?

/ garage door headroom challenge for lean-to #8  
I would abandon that lean-to idea and extend the existing roof line instead.

/ garage door headroom challenge for lean-to #9  
How about putting in a shorter door? How much clearance do you need for your car? Not many cars are over six feet in height. On the other hand I managed to put in a door and operator with four or five inches of clearance to the ceiling. You will need to use some ingenuity and do some light welding. When my door opened, it had about 1/4 inch clearance to the ceiling and then sloped down to provide more clearance. The bar and sprocket was attached to the ceiling rather than the header and the pull rod was five or six feet long. Worked fine for the few years I lived there.

/ garage door headroom challenge for lean-to