Coolant on the snow?

/ Coolant on the snow? #11  
Sounds like the coolant level is perfect. Not unusual for a few drops or spoonfuls to be thrown out when working. Check clamps. Clean up drops to protect our furry friends - it's sweet tasting poison.

/ Coolant on the snow?
It's raining out right now, but took a quick look. The engine bay is dry, no leaks. I ran it for about 10-15 minutes on idle. The clamps on the small hose near the tank is. how would I tighten that one? The larger hose from the radiator to engine, I did not touch yet.

Attachments

• hose-1.JPG
    hose-1.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230103_233939910_iOS.jpg
    20230103_233939910_iOS.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • 20230103_233945524_iOS.jpg
    20230103_233945524_iOS.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • 20230103_233957863_iOS.jpg
    20230103_233957863_iOS.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
   / Coolant on the snow? #13  
@JME81
There is also a large hose at the bottom of the radiator that I don't see in your pictures.

/ Coolant on the snow? #14  
It's raining out right now, but took a quick look. The engine bay is dry, no leaks. I ran it for about 10-15 minutes on idle. The clamps on the small hose near the tank is. how would I tighten that one? The larger hose from the radiator to engine, I did not touch yet.

That small hose you circled does not need to be tightened; is good as is.

/ Coolant on the snow?

Attachments

• 20230104_003022618_iOS.jpg
    20230104_003022618_iOS.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • 20230104_003008006_iOS.jpg
    20230104_003008006_iOS.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
   / Coolant on the snow? #16  
It is common for coolant to leak soon after shutting tractor off after working it. The reason being is there normally is a temp/pressure spike after it is shut off. Try looking for your leak about a half hour after shutting it down.

/ Coolant on the snow? #17  

The first thing I would do is look at the type of clamp that is being used, and ask myself if it is right for the application. A surprising number of hoses are poorly clamped. That will work for awhile, but eventually will leak. Maybe not much, but a little. And it's preventable.

Coolant system hoses are always made of some sort of flexible rubbery substance - an elastomer. Those materials are flexible and change dimensions with temperature. They are connected by being pushed over a rigid pipe and clamped in place.

Most any clamp will prevent major leaks, but if the aim is also to prevent minor seepage the clamp is going to have to mantain pressure on that softer hose as the hose changes with age and temperature.

That is the reason why so many radiator hose clamps are the constant spring type.

Worm drive hose clamps like the first two pictures below are great for vibration resistance and high torque, but they can't stretch and shrink to follow the change in hose shape and elasticity as it ages. Eventually they leak. That is why you rarely see them used in hi-end coolant and fuel apps.

Continuing to seal an elastic hose to a pipe or spigot as either one changes shape & ages requires a clamp that keeps on clamping. Those are the constant spring type like the ones in the third and fourth pictures below. There are many ways to make a constant pressure spring clamp, but the main feature is an ability to change shape so as to follow a change in the hose as it ages and shrinks.
rScotty

Attachments

• 1 Vibration resistant hi-torque type 1.png
    1 Vibration resistant hi-torque type 1.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 2 Vibration resistant hi-torque type 2.png
    2 Vibration resistant hi-torque type 2.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 3 Constant Pressure hose clamp type 1.png
    3 Constant Pressure hose clamp type 1.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 4 Constant Pressure hose clamp type 2.png
    4 Constant Pressure hose clamp type 2.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 44
   / Coolant on the snow? #18  
The factory clamps are fine.

If nothing is obviously wet, maybe you should just be sure the radiator is full and add some to the overflow tank, then run it - and watch it more.

Last edited:
   / Coolant on the snow? #19  

None of the hoses you showed are leaking, and the level in the bottle is still good. The next step is to run the tractor for a bit while keeping an eye on the temperature and fluid level in the bottle. If the temps stay good and the bottle doesn't over flow, you are good to go - run with no worries. The little bit you saw on the ground was most likely just the engine burping out some air and/or excess fluid added in when the dealer did their pre-delivery checks. It happens.

/ Coolant on the snow? #20  
The first thing I would do is look at the type of clamp that is being used, and ask myself if it is right for the application. A surprising number of hoses are poorly clamped. That will work for awhile, but eventually will leak. Maybe not much, but a little. And it's preventable.

The spring clamps are fine. None of the hoses using them are under pressure.