Coney, what is to much garlic

/ Coney, what is to much garlic #31  
you can press the clove with the flat side of a large knife that usually breaks the skin up and allows you to peel it easier. a good tap with your hand on the knife usually is enough, you don't want to crush the garlic just crack the skin.

/ Coney, what is to much garlic
I cut the root end of each clove and the skin usually falls off. We have a press just like Peace showed us and it has enough leverage to make easy work out of it.

To break up the head I place it root side up and press down with a heavy metal fry pan. Kinda like removing the core from a head of lettuce by slamming it on the counter.

/ Coney, what is to much garlic #33  
About 50 years ago, a bar owner sold the best tasting conies I have ever eaten. But his wife took the recipe to her grave....until about 15 years ago. My buddy and the owner were alone in the bar one night in the early 70's and he gave up the recipe, just one drunk to another kind of thing. The recipe makes about a gallon of coney sauce with LOTS of onion, ground meat and spices.

Question.... Does 4 heads of garlic sound about right for an Italian recipe? A fresh head garlic in our store is slightly smaller than a tennis ball.

I have made it twice but never put 4 heads in, just 2. I would hate to put to much in and ruin it because it is not a cheap thing to make. With buns, pickles and dogs it is over $50.
The cloves are the individual pieces in the bulb. I bet the recipe meant for 3 cloves. When my mother (German) made pickles she would break the bulb into the individual cloves.

/ Coney, what is to much garlic
The cloves are the individual pieces in the bulb. I bet the recipe meant for 3 cloves. When my mother (German) made pickles she would break the bulb into the individual cloves.
A friend once told me that his mom would put more than that in his tippy cup. 😇

/ Coney, what is to much garlic #35  
what is a "coney" or using your other spelling "Conie"? I searched and found nothing
From what I've been reading it what the call in Jersey "All the Way". Except for the slice of pickle. Maybe the name comes from Coney Park, as in a Coney Park Dog? Nathens?

/ Coney, what is to much garlic #36  
Another way to get good garlic flavor is to roast it. Barely slice off the top of the whole bulb, pour in a little EVOO and a pinch of kosher salt. Wrap in foil and bake for 20-30 min till it's soft and spreadable like butter. Great in mashed potatoes.

If I'm chopping a lot (like 1-2 bulbs) I use a small/mini chopper/food processor.

/ Coney, what is to much garlic #37  
About 50 years ago, a bar owner sold the best tasting conies I have ever eaten. But his wife took the recipe to her grave....until about 15 years ago. My buddy and the owner were alone in the bar one night in the early 70's and he gave up the recipe, just one drunk to another kind of thing. The recipe makes about a gallon of coney sauce with LOTS of onion, ground meat and spices.

Question.... Does 4 heads of garlic sound about right for an Italian recipe? A fresh head garlic in our store is slightly smaller than a tennis ball.

I have made it twice but never put 4 heads in, just 2. I would hate to put to much in and ruin it because it is not a cheap thing to make. With buns, pickles and dogs it is over $50.
Would you consider sharing the recipie?

/ Coney, what is to much garlic #38  
Best coney dogs I ever had were in Jackson michigan at the Virginia Coney Island on michigan ave.

/ Coney, what is to much garlic #39  
To a Italian there no such thing as to much garlic.

/ Coney, what is to much garlic #40  
Any garlic at all is too much. Garlic just baffles me. One of the most sickening smells and tastes ever, in the field or the kitchen. I guess that's the southern in me. All those years of trying to avoid it when harvesting beans and smelling it when doing so.