Chosing a borescope

/ Chosing a borescope #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
It's time for a new toy, er ... tool. I've been looking at borescopes for years now and the technology just keeps getting better.
Does anyone use a borescope for mechanical work? What features do you like or not?
Here is one that caught my eye.
rScotty
Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 6.47.02 AM.png

/ Chosing a borescope #2  
This is completely contrary to my "out of sight, out of mind" thinking. 😆

/ Chosing a borescope #3  
I got a cheap one that connects to the USB port on a computer. I've used it once, to retrieve a bolt I dropped inside my wood chipper. (I taped it to a coathanger and a mechanic's claw). The advantage besides being cheap is that you get a nice big display. The disadvantage is the risk to the laptop you're using as a display.

/ Chosing a borescope #4  
I have an older cheap version that I use all the time. Mine just has a small amount of zoom and no adjustment to camera direction other than moving it around. Would be nice to keep the viewer still and be able to change angles somewhat.

Video and pictures that could be uploaded to a computer also would be handy. I can take pictures with mine but it is only viewable on the unit and is gone once you turn it off.

So my advice is spend a little more for a more functional unit. :ROFLMAO:

/ Chosing a borescope #5  
I bought one that uses my phone for a screen. It has side view mirrors and it is pretty good for the money. I used it to check the cylinder walls of my car's engine, and also the HVAC blend door's function. It has a light on it too. Was only about $50 something?

/ Chosing a borescope #6  
I bought one that uses my phone for a screen. It has side view mirrors and it is pretty good for the money. I used it to check the cylinder walls of my car's engine, and also the HVAC blend door's function. It has a light on it too. Was only about $50 something?
This is the way to go now and its a big deal not having to store a video screen tool anymore. Amazon has a good selection with the Klein being under $40.

/ Chosing a borescope #7  
Christmas time is coming up????????? :unsure:

willy

/ Chosing a borescope
I have an older cheap version that I use all the time. Mine just has a small amount of zoom and no adjustment to camera direction other than moving it around. Would be nice to keep the viewer still and be able to change angles somewhat.

Video and pictures that could be uploaded to a computer also would be handy. I can take pictures with mine but it is only viewable on the unit and is gone once you turn it off.

So my advice is spend a little more for a more functional unit. :ROFLMAO:

K5lwq, I think I'll take that advice. I've seen that once a tool proves useful, there is value to buying the best example I can find. That's worked for us in tractors and shop tools both. Also Collins vs Hallicrafters.

We have a camera on 100 foot cable we use for inspecting irrigation pipes for roots - it works just like you describe including the downsides...but has still been real handy. Not much good as a borescope for mechanical projects, though.

I see that the best of the borescopes available now have an articulated camera that can bend in all directions - even directly back on a 1" radius bend, and are small enough to fit through a quarter inch hole.

Next step is to try several.

rScotty

/ Chosing a borescope #9  
I bought a cheap Chinese one that uses wifi and your phone screen and it's useless. Either it's too dark and you can't see anything, or you've got super bright reflections from the LEDs and can't make out any detail. Around $50 AUD from memory

Bought another less cheap one from Aldi down here and it's way better. About $100 AUD. Still not at nice as some of the ones I've seen on YouTube videos but they are in the $300 plus range and I don't need that detail. Yet...

/ Chosing a borescope #10  
I bought a similar Chinese/Amazon special for my iPhone when I really, really needed to retrieve something. Paid for itself, but next time I wanted to use it, the app wouldn’t work and the vendor had disappeared.

I still like the phone screen idea, but would buy a brand that I was kinda sure would keep their app updated to new phone OS