Loader Checking hydraulic oil

/ Checking hydraulic oil #1  

devodad

Silver Member
Tractor
JOHN DEERE
Hi, wondered if someone knows this. My JD Owner’s Manual states, among other things, that the draft links should be extended when checking and filling the hydraulic fluid. The tractor has a front end loader that is not mentioned in the tractor manual at all. It probably has its own manual. I’m wondering if, since it has a loader, should the loader cylinders be extended too when checking and filling? I’m afraid to put too much hydraulic oil and maybe blowing some seals or damaging something due to the high pressures. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

/ Checking hydraulic oil #2  
Which model do you have?

Don't think you can blow any seals if too full, but let us know what you have for checking fluid level.

/ Checking hydraulic oil
Which model do you have?

Don't think you can blow any seals if too full, but let us know what you have for checking fluid level.

It’s a 1986 JD 2350. It’s a full size farm utility tractor. 65hp

/ Checking hydraulic oil #5  
Location of cylinder rods(in or out) on FEL won't affect hyd oil level very much. I don't have a clue what draft links extended indicates but 3 pt should be down when checking hyd oil level

/ Checking hydraulic oil
Location of cylinder rods(in or out) on FEL won't affect hyd oil level very much. I don't have a clue what draft links extended indicates but 3 pt should be down when checking hyd oil level

Thanks. I think what the manual means to say (although not stated this way) is that the lift arms for the 3pt needed to be extended (down).

If I let the 3pt down and lift the loader 12”-14” off the ground (like I’d have it most of the time while running it), run the engine a few minutes, slow idle and check the fluid dip stick, it shows at the lower of the two operating level lines. If I put the loader all the way down, then the dip stick shows right in the middle of the normal range on the dip stick. If I check it cold and with the engine off, then it shows at the top level-indicator line.

The manual says if the level is at or below the lower line to add oil. However, it doesn’t specify at what position(s) you check the dipstick or if the engine should be running or not.

/ Checking hydraulic oil #7  
IIRC engine should be idling when checking hyd oil on JD 20-55 series utility tractors.