Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam?

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #21  
I came home and hesitantly bought a blue flame Harbor Freight helmet. It seems to work perfect. No flash, no blinking. I just touch the arc and it instantly goes dark. I am very satisfied with the way it works.

I'll be curious to hear back on if these get delivered or not.

:rolleyes: Sure Enough the seller cancelled the sale...

Amazon has been good for most everything I have purchased.

first time for a cancellation, can,t even leave negative feedback because amazon deleted the product from my order history and makes no link to it in the email:confused3:

Also the product code that started the thread is now a dead end

thought there was a law that forced advertisers to Honor ad prices??...

That Antra hood is looking better all the time

Last edited:
   / Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #22  
I came home and hesitantly bought a blue flame Harbor Freight helmet. It seems to work perfect. No flash, no blinking. I just touch the arc and it instantly goes dark. I am very satisfied with the way it works. I have an old (30 year) Jackson that needs headgear. I will be giving it away.

I have the blue HF with white stars, my son welded professionally building docks for a few years, and they always used 3M speed glass helmets,

He said I can't see out of this thing, - how can you weld with it?? I told him it has been getting harder to see the puddle clearly and it is not stable when tig welding (bright to dim to bright) Not a flash per say but not how it should be.

time for me to get a new helmet.

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #23  
We do a lot of TIG stainless work in the shop (I own it) and a good Hood is essential for TIG especially. I'm real leery of bargain basement hoods. May be ok for SMAW or MIG but TIG, no way.

5030, What do you recommend for TIG?
Rick

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #24  
Please consider that eye damage from a junk toy hood will not effect you until 10 years down the road. By then it's too late. Buy something decent. people pay hundreds for glasses but think they are getting a good deal on a $40 Auto hood. Speed Glass and other top notch hoods would be out of business if the HF hoods were just as good. Sure they go auto dark but how fast and how far to they close. If you're not protected to shade 16 at the open light shade, Don't buy it. If your HF hood says you are, try to find proof. The Swiss ( in my opinion ) have the best technology and have had since the 80's. Hornell,Xelux and the ESAB hood. Xelux works under water. Jackson was a very good USA product but was smashed by cheaper fair quality Chinese hoods by Lincoln and Miller under brilliant marketing campaigns. Taiwan I think is #2 in Technology, South Korea and then China. I don't care what you buy but don't buy on price alone. Also consider what shade the lens is when in the light mode and more sensors the better for tig.

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #25  
sd455dan; That Antra hood is looking better all the time[/QUOTE said:
Ordered the Antra AH6 -260-0000

I respect yomax and others concerns about quality, and even though these hoods are under $50 and retail for just $80

This is amazons #1 seller in auto dark helmets. I am hoping there is a good reason for it.

This helmet purports to meet the ANSI z 87.1 /DIN/EN397csa standards with a permanent DIN shade 16 default

a batch of the 6000 series (wider screen) helmet and what appear to be the actual panels? used in the AH6 series were submitted to Colts labs to confirm they met specs. These reports are included the picture grouping. for the product.

It also has better switch to dark time than the Flexzion unit ( .00004 second) and is also is a 4 sensor unit.

Amazon has 600 reviews on this unit- some by by long time welders.

Should have it Friday- and hope it meets expectations... If not prime will take it back and will order a higher $$ hood.

ps.- tried a little bit of practice tig welding today with the old hf hood and it did not switch correctly- never ever using it again!

Last edited:
   / Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #26  
I believe I mentioned earlier that the HF don't work with tig.

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #27  
I believe I mentioned earlier that the HF don't work with tig.

actually I believe the word used was (elcheapo) :D

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #28  
I guess that was the word I used.

One is a HF, the other I don't know the brand of but another $40 helmet. Neither work with tig

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #29  
The $46 Antra hood showed up today and all I can say is WOW what a difference!

Did a little tig test on Aluminum 1st- medium and low amps, no flicker or flash just a smooth stable switch to a nice clear view.

Also tried some dc tig on steel, and a little stick welding to and it works great!

Now i am kicking myself for not replacing the old HF hood a long time ago, although have only had the equipment to arc, plasma cut and tig weld for a very short time.

I am not knocking on the new HF hoods , and my old one did work for many years of mig welding.
Haven't tried a new HF, but am very impressed with this inexpensive 4 sensor hood, especially since stopping by HF yesterday and seeing the sale price on their helmet was about the same $ as the amazon price for the Antra but Unlike HF, no fancy graphics on the Antra, just basic black but it does seem to work for basic welding needs :thumbsup:

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #30  
Maybe I'm silly but B4 welding I like to flick my lighter to verify my helmet's response.
If the spark from the flint activates the helmet then I feel protected.