Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam?

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #1  
Tractor
Murray
Hello,

I ran across a welding helmet for $6.99, plus $5.40 in shipping. It is listed on Amazon, so you know that you can get a refund if it's junk.

Search Amazon for B019W7PH86.

There are 2 listings. One for $6.99, and one for $39.

I do sell on Amazon but I am not selling this item. I also do not have an affiliation with either of these sellers or this product. I am just considering ordering a few at that price and thought someone else might want one.

I posted this in the Hot Deals forum of another popular site. Has anyone seen, or ordered one of these?

Have a great day,
Steve

Edit: Everything this NEW company sells is listed at $6.99. It is probably a scam.

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #2  
Like the paint job:cool:. What always worries me about those types of hood, is the cost of the clear cover lens. I have a problem paying more than 30-cents for clear lenses.

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #3  
I am always cautious when I see something listed that is WAY cheaper than the rest of the listings.

I also would spend more than $10 on something designed to protect my eyes. Alot of the guys at work have el-cheapo auto-darkening helmets. They act funky when tig welding. Dont know why, but its like the helmet cant seem to make up its mind if it wants to be dark or light.

Never had thos issues with my jackson nexgen or 3m speedglass

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #4  
I have used Amazon a lot , both from Amazon directly and Amazon's Marketplace . With a New Seller , Likely they are trying to drum up business by doing the Costco thing . Buy in Bulk of certains items and sell them at Cost . I have never had issue's with any purchase in Amazon's marketplace , Amazon usually backs the deal and if there are any doubts , use something like paypal maybe that would also back the deal . I would not be surprised that the item is at cost and even a place like Harbor Freight has a huge mark-up on their $39 helmets .

Just looked at Amazon , and if you follow their A - Z deal on returns , it may take 30 days or so but You get your money back . If they have to many of these , Amazon Bans them . You also only get the flame helmet , no other choices .

Fred H.

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #7  
Is the seller legitimate? Probably

Can you get a refund if not satisfied? Most likely.

Do the helmets work? Probably, but at that price point, they will have a high failure rate and depend on sales volume to cover "warranties".

So. Let's not get sidetracked here.

To put it in perspective, if your eyesight is damaged, your consolation prize is: " at least I got my money back!" ???

I'm old and cranky but not senile. I'll pass thank you.

Terry

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #8  
Same price as Harbor Freight model and people will buy and use those yet not this one ? Interesting .:confused:

As far as eye protection , Hmm , I have only been flashed twice in my welding experiences . First was a Jackson ( I Think , been a few years back ?? ) that , although it was a older model , ( 1 of the first auto darkening type I think ?? ) it was maybe 5 or 6 years old at the time . It had a switching malfunction , We ended up tossing it due to trying to get the part to fix proved to be a pain after 3 weeks of email tag with the maker . Second was a Miller just a few years ago . Same issue , Switch and Miller did provide free switch and shipping on it .

The auto darkening ones are cool , But like All electronic items , various enviromental changes can have a adverse effect on any circuitry . Thus any brand or model should be used with a little caution .

Now will I buy one of these , No , Simply because I have 2 welding helmets as is and don't need a 3'rd .

Fred H.

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #9  
Same price as Harbor Freight model and people will buy and use those yet not this one ? Interesting .:confused:

As far as eye protection , Hmm , I have only been flashed twice in my welding experiences . First was a Jackson ( I Think , been a few years back ?? ) that , although it was a older model , ( 1 of the first auto darkening type I think ?? ) it was maybe 5 or 6 years old at the time . It had a switching malfunction , We ended up tossing it due to trying to get the part to fix proved to be a pain after 3 weeks of email tag with the maker . Second was a Miller just a few years ago . Same issue , Switch and Miller did provide free switch and shipping on it .

The auto darkening ones are cool , But like All electronic items , various enviromental changes can have a adverse effect on any circuitry . Thus any brand or model should be used with a little caution .

Now will I buy one of these , No , Simply because I have 2 welding helmets as is and don't need a 3'rd .

Fred H.

I agree with everything you say. Totally a personal thing.

There's prolly a good chance lower end "brand name" helmets are made in the same factories as HF/Princess Auto ones.

Or perhaps another way of putting it: maybe H/F helmets are from the same factories that produce entry level brand name helmets.

I will also agree that buying the more expensive brand name one is no guarantee either.

I purchased an Optrel back in 1999 that I had to chuck a few years later. Another one came with a welder I purchased lately. Same thing.

No way to tell for certain, but I suppose I'm just trying to say I TRY to make the best decision when safety is a concern.

Terry

/ Cheap Wedling Helmet or Scam? #10  
Hello,

I ran across a welding helmet for $6.99, plus $5.40 in shipping. It is listed on Amazon, so you know that you can get a refund if it's junk.

Search Amazon for B019W7PH86.

There are 2 listings. One for $6.99, and one for $39.

I do sell on Amazon but I am not selling this item. I also do not have an affiliation with either of these sellers or this product. I am just considering ordering a few at that price and thought someone else might want one.

I posted this in the Hot Deals forum of another popular site. Has anyone seen, or ordered one of these?

Have a great day,
Steve

Edit: Everything this NEW company sells is listed at $6.99. It is probably a scam.

HyperBeast shop (the seller) only has one review -giving it a 0% positive rating...that review said they cancelled the order for no reason. Mmmm- what to do??

Last edited: