Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat?

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #11  
What I did for my non cabbed tractor which has a canopy was to get a golf cart cover,
it provides wind and snow protection which makes for nicer working conditions.
574 cover.jpg

That with the mentioned heater might be nice, but just keeping most of the wind off is a large help.

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #12  
Don't know about the Vevors, but I have an older (bigger) Espar unit in my boat. Great heat output, but be careful of the exhaust routing as my original burned through due to alignment issues. I'd also be leery of material quality & maybe invest in a CO monitor if pointing towards face. The Espars were set up similar to the old VW Bug exhaust heaters & if the heat exchanger burned or rusted through, it was direct exhaust to passenger compartment.
Lucky for us the VW cars leaked so badly there wa always an adequate supply of fresh (freezing) air.
I like the Golf Cart cover idea. I have a couple new new cart covers left over. PM me if interested.

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #14  
I was thinking about putting a seat heater in my tractor seat.
I put two in my open cab (though there is a roof) UTV and they work great. I have an aftermarket heater (blowing hot air) in the UTV too, but between the two, the heated seats is by far the better improvement.....and costs a lot less.
I think my biggest concern is that the warm seat would melt snow which would get me wet. But I figured I didn't have to turn it on if that was a concern (snowing heavly). The one I installed in my UTV (by Tusk) goes fairly high up the back (which feels really good on a cold day), but it may be too high for a tractor seat.
Another option would be to use a heated seat cover.

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #15  
try it out. works for motor cyclists, & cheap
Great idea! I just recommended these to my son who is an electrical pole inspector. He said that it gets so cold during work that his electronic pad stops working. He is out walking around and not seated on a tractor. I originally got the info from a neighbor who drove a forklift all night for the Morton salt factory. He said -6 to+6 temps were literally numbing.
Good post! (y)

Last edited:
   / Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #16  
Been thinking it would be nice to have some heat around when plowing and eventually blowing snow on my uncabbed tractor

Noticed these inexpensive 5000-8000 watt vevor heaters for ~$120 that have four port output. Thinking if I can find a place to mount it could direct 3 ports to the operator to keep warm-er than no heat, and one to the intake for even faster cold weather starting.

Should be able to T into the diesel fuel line so no tank needed and also the interface runs on 12 volts and is only supposed to draw about 50 watts so no need for a separate battery.
The unit also has a flexible exhaust to direct it away from the area where the heat is.
Anyway ordered one and we will see, and if it just works for some extra operator heat that is OK to. Or this could be a complete fail... Will update when it arrives and get it installed.

My SIL used this setup on his Sprinter van conversion. He set it up to heat water that was plumbed through floor of the van and covered with a rubber mat type material. When they were out camping in below zero temps, the van was always a cozy 72 deg without any fumes,Co2 or noise.

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #17  
just a poor man's way compared to attempting to heat an aftermarket enclosed space.
has it's applications in hiking or survival options as well. to be honest, i avoid the cold when i can, but love my open station

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #18  
Adding some heat pads to the seat is something I would like to try. Wished for something like that many a times doing winter chores and feeding. A little heat can go a long ways on a open station.

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #19  
Been thinking it would be nice to have some heat around when plowing and eventually blowing snow on my uncabbed tractor

Noticed these inexpensive 5000-8000 watt vevor heaters for ~$120 that have four port output. Thinking if I can find a place to mount it could direct 3 ports to the operator to keep warm-er than no heat, and one to the intake for even faster cold weather starting.

Should be able to T into the diesel fuel line so no tank needed and also the interface runs on 12 volts and is only supposed to draw about 50 watts so no need for a separate battery.
The unit also has a flexible exhaust to direct it away from the area where the heat is.
Anyway ordered one and we will see, and if it just works for some extra operator heat that is OK to. Or this could be a complete fail... Will update when it arrives and get it installed.

What I did for my non cabbed tractor which has a canopy was to get a golf cart cover,
it provides wind and snow protection which makes for nicer working conditions.
View attachment 774583
That with the mentioned heater might be nice, but just keeping most of the wind off is a large help.
"back in the day" when pretty much all equipment was open station. The name of the game then was to get the engine heat blowing on you. You have an engine running at +/-180 degrees and a fan built in use it. I have seen some pretty ingenious ways to get the heat from motors onto the operator. In the case of tractors I have seen a complete "wrap" where a tarp fully encircled the entire front of the tractor sending all heat back onto the operator. The old boy who did that said his tractor both got up to temp faster and he had to start shedding clothes if he had lots of snow to move
Personally I just dress for it.....wool long johns etc etc.....and I do completely block the rad on my tractor too. Even with no tarps I get some engine heat on me

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #20  

back in the day" when pretty much all equipment was open station. The name of the game then was to get the engine heat blowing on you. You have an engine running at +/-180 degrees and a fan built in use it. I have seen some pretty ingenious ways to get the heat from motors onto the operator. In the case of tractors I have seen a complete "wrap" where a tarp fully encircled the entire front of the tractor sending all heat back onto the operator. The old boy who did that said his tractor both got up to temp faster and he had to start shedding clothes if he had lots of snow to move
Personally I just dress for it.....wool long johns etc etc.....and I do completely block the rad on my tractor too. Even with no tarps I get some ,not much, engine heat on me