Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat?

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #1  

sd455dan

Tractor
Rhino 554, Ford 550 TLB (JD X500, MTD, Gilson riding mowers) Ford 3000-Sold
Been thinking it would be nice to have some heat around when plowing and eventually blowing snow on my uncabbed tractor

Noticed these inexpensive 5000-8000 watt vevor heaters for ~$120 that have four port output. Thinking if I can find a place to mount it could direct 3 ports to the operator to keep warm-er than no heat, and one to the intake for even faster cold weather starting.

Should be able to T into the diesel fuel line so no tank needed and also the interface runs on 12 volts and is only supposed to draw about 50 watts so no need for a separate battery.
The unit also has a flexible exhaust to direct it away from the area where the heat is.
Anyway ordered one and we will see, and if it just works for some extra operator heat that is OK to. Or this could be a complete fail... Will update when it arrives and get it installed.

Last edited:
   / Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #2  
Looks to be fairly compact at 4.5" square. Wonder if a person could mount it under the hood?

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat?
Looks to be fairly compact at 4.5" square. Wonder if a person could mount it under the hood?
Yeah it is fairly compact but has a fairly long axis.

Just seems like it would be pretty adept for use with a diesel tractor.
I "think" it will fit under my oil bath air cleaner and should be right next to the fuel line as well.

My fuel tank runs directly under the hood so that area is out, but I probably do not need to use the included fuel pump- but anyone with a tank down low like under the step the pump will be nice to have.
The heat output should be above 20000 BTU when cranked up.

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #4  
I've got two of these diesel heaters (5kw and 8kw) and they work very well. I use one that has thermostat control to heat my wife's greenhouse. The other that lacks thermostat control I use in my workshop to take the edge off of cold.

They are very popular with the European RV crowd and there are tons of YouTube videos on them (ICWeld on YouTube put one in his wife's greenhouse). On startup they use a glow plug that pulls several amps, once fired, the current is minimal and used for the injection dosing fuel pump and two fans.

Because the fuel pump delivers a known quantity of fuel to the heater, under pressure to atomize, you have to use the pump supplied. The heat output level is adjusted by the controller by varying the cycle speed of the injection pump.

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #5  
Hi,
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you make the heat useful to the operator on an uncabbed tractor?

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #6  
Hi,
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you make the heat useful to the operator on an uncabbed tractor?

I don't know about those heaters but on my open station dozer the fan blades are reversible. They are normally set to blow forward - from the engine compartment forward out thru the oil cooler and radiator. In the winter you turn them the other way, towards the rear, and open a floor board plate. Then the cold air gets pulled in the front and gets warmed by the radiator and engine. The warm air blows out at your feet and legs. Makes a huge difference in comfort.

gg

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #7  
I have looked at these heaters in the past for other uses, and may get one to take the edge off in my garage. It always comes down to how to exhaust to the outside for me.

Kind of drifting off topic, but if the diesel heater doesn't work out, consider trying 12v heated clothing. When I was plowing with an open station tractor I used a heated jacket, gloves, and pants made for motorcyclists. Gerbing was the brand, and they can control 2 zones with a thermostat. It'll keep you nice and warm.

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #8  
A great review - includes a complete braekdown of the units construction and function - Looks like a great workshop heater !

There is a huge selection of models too > VEVOR Diesel Heater | VEVOR US

Last edited:
   / Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat?
Hi,
I was going to use the hoses and the four outputs Mainly for my Feet one for each foot and maybe one aimed at the chest Thought it might be neat to direct some hot air at the engine intake since it would also be right in the same area.
I have looked at these heaters in the past for other uses, and may get one to take the edge off in my garage. It always comes down to how to exhaust to the outside for me.

Kind of drifting off topic, but if the diesel heater doesn't work out, consider trying 12v heated clothing. When I was plowing with an open station tractor I used a heated jacket, gloves, and pants made for motorcyclists. Gerbing was the brand, and they can control 2 zones with a thermostat. It'll keep you nice and warm.
That is a great idea, I will look into that.

/ Cheap heat for uncabbed tractor plus intake preheat? #10  
Don't know about the Vevors, but I have an older (bigger) Espar unit in my boat. Great heat output, but be careful of the exhaust routing as my original burned through due to alignment issues. I'd also be leery of material quality & maybe invest in a CO monitor if pointing towards face. The Espars were set up similar to the old VW Bug exhaust heaters & if the heat exchanger burned or rusted through, it was direct exhaust to passenger compartment.