Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Chains VS Tracks for snow plowing

/ Chains VS Tracks for snow plowing
Hi Chim - The carriage bolts stuck out about an inch past the nylock bolts. Not a good setup for a snowy road with hills. Thanks to everyone for the chain suggestion as they work great! i think the bolts bent/broke as I made turns.

opps ....forgot.....Grousers are little "ice picks" that attach to the tracks. You put them in every other track on the outside. i think the website is www.grousers.com

Thanks...your right the chains are the ticket. i have a John Deere 280 skidsteer that is now sporting chains but is stuck in a ditch. We are having -40F temps right now so waiting till it warms up to get it out.

Thanks John.....Next time I use the snow blower I will go slower. I never thought that I might be going to fast. Works great on level ground - the hills were the bad part using tracks.

I bought the skidsteer from RDO in Great Falls MT. Really great people and the hydralic snow blower works great. It shoots about 20 feet from the road and you can change direction and angle from inside the cab. I just moved here from Colorado and there I was snow plowing on a Polaris ATV ( a lot less snow ) so my experience is very little but the skidsteer was easy to learn.

/ Chains VS Tracks for snow plowing #16  
Don't use chain for tugging out equiment, get a nylon yank strap with woven loops on the end.

Use heavy stuff (preferably towhooks) to connect it because it can generate huge forces.

In my 2000 lb Suzuki Samurai I have yanked our Dakota with plow and sand out of a snow bank when it rode up and dropped in the other side.

Also have yanked a toyota 4 runner that was burried over the hood in a mudhole.

I can't imagine what a suburban could yank out!
Ken