Chain

/ Chain
What holds onto the log better, a choke strap or chain?

/ Chain #42  
I find chains easiest to work with overall dragging trees. But I'm mostly dealing with medium-sized pines.

/ Chain #43  
Do many of you have hooks welded onto the front end loader ?

This is how mine are - just basic 5/16" weld-on grab hooks. Other than a 3rd in the middle maybe, I wouldn't want any other way.

IF you're interested, the toothbar is this: Amazon.com: Titan 72" Bucket 23TF Tooth Bar Universal Size Skid Steer Tractor USA Made: Home Improvement Required some slight fitting with an angle grinder at the edges for clearance at the bucket weld seam (grinding on the bar, not the bucket :) ) Decent for an inexpensive piece.

20180518_122905.jpg
20180527_134235.jpg

/ Chain #44  
What size are the hooks? What are they called, so I can search for them? Thanks!!

We call them "Forest" hooks, they are very popular with the the logging/skidding people since they do not snag on things.

Forrest Hook.JPG

IMG_4675.JPG

/ Chain #45  
Do many of you have hooks welded onto the front end loader ?

I'd say most guys do, some get dealers to weld them on, some weld themselves, and many buy or Bolt-On ones. We have a few options for hooks, shackles, and rigging accessories.

/ Chain #46  
Two main style of chain hooks are "Grab Hooks" or "Slip Hooks"...

Grab hooks are sized according to chain size.... 5/16 chain, 5/16 hooks.... 3/8 chain, 3/8 hooks... It all (basically) about slot size of hook...Clevis pin usually is match for chain and slot size...

Slip hooks are usually sized by size of clevis pin (according to chain link size).... You are not going to put a 3/8 pin through 1/4 inch chain...

Do GOOGLE IMAGE search for "chain hooks", you will be amazed what is out there...

Dale

Pictured was neither a grab hook or slip hook. I know that hook will slip, but looks like it's less likely to come unhooked than a slip hook. That's why I asked what it's called.

I will just search Amazon for "hook"

/ Chain #47  
   / Chain #48  
We call them "Forest" hooks, they are very popular with the the logging/skidding people since they do not snag on things.

View attachment 569076

View attachment 569077

Those C-hooks work great. I pulled up a bunch of old locust posts over the last few weeks using one. Just a couple quick wraps around the post with the chain, slide the chain through the gap of the hook and pull up with the loader. The chain never slipped or come loose, not one time.