Cataracts and other visual concerns!

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #61  
My sister had her right eye done two weeks ago. Totally happy with the results. She is having the left eye done in two weeks. I'm having my initial consultation next month. Just had my annual eye exam last week and my right eye is ready now. They probably will approve the left eye, not as bad but close.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #62  
I was to my optometrist in hopes of getting this surgery and she told me "you are not bad enough to get it yet. Gosh they seem bad to me!

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #63  
I've gotten that several times at my HMO, Kaiser P., for different things, including cataracts.
Get's me wondering if they are betting I'll die from something else first.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #64  
I was to my optometrist in hopes of getting this surgery and she told me "you are not bad enough to get it yet. Gosh they seem bad to me!
Ignore the optometrist. Get an appointment with an ophthalmologist. They are actual doctors. I equate optometrist with chiropractor or custom shoe sales. They have their place, but not nearly qualified to make that call.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #65  
A doc that is high volume and or a partner has some pull.

One of our docs would do training for other docs with big screen set up or news crews… those patients paid nothing as the lens was free, the doc and facility also no cost.
Unfortunately, the medical plan is tied to our zip code. It is very rural here and not many options for doctors or facilities.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #66  
Ignore the optometrist. Get an appointment with an ophthalmologist. They are actual doctors. I equate optometrist with chiropractor or custom shoe sales. They have their place, but not nearly qualified to make that call.
I made have not identified her credentials correctly, she is a certified in Am Bd Ophthalmology.

Last edited:
   / Cataracts and other visual concerns!
I was nearsighted and had worn glasses since grade school. I was diagnosed with Fuchs dystrophy about 12 years ago. Fuchs is a disease of the endothelial layer of the cornea that results in the growth of little fingers of tissue on the inner side of the cornea and the failure of the endothelial layer to pump water out of the cornea resulting in edema of the cornea. 9 years ago my eye doctor referred me to Deavers Eye Institute in Portland Oregon. They did an operation (DMEC) to replace the diseased endothelial tissue with healthy donor tissue.
At the same time cataract surgery was done to reduce the risk to the transplant tissue by doing it later, I had what was described as "age appropriate cataracts" at that time. I chose do get distance vision lenses at that time. My distance vision is 20/25 now. I have to wear reading glasses for close up vision now, I have prescription glasses for that as I found that dime store readers gave me a headache.
Recovery time was a bit longer than routine cataract surgery as there was a gas bubble placed under the cornea to hold the donar tissue in place, about a week laying on my back to properly position the bubble.
In conclusion, I would do this again in a heartbeat if it was necessary, I was eager to get the second one done!
Awesome report!

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #68  
I've gotten that several times at my HMO, Kaiser P., for different things, including cataracts.
Get's me wondering if they are betting I'll die from something else first.
Local Kaiser is set up to do 20 per eye surgery day.

They have 24 instrument sets and staff to accommodate.

They don’t schedule more than 20 and when demand is high need is determining factor.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #69  
Now she needs cataracts done. They can also put in a stent for the glaucoma. Doc is 'in network', but surgical center isn't. They can make an exception, but her primary care doc has to do the paperwork. It is a hot mess. This "cheap" plan she found is garbage.
Really hope it works out for her Torvy!