Can opener - recommendations please

/ Can opener - recommendations please #1  

genusCastor

Silver Member
Tractor
see sig
My wife has trouble using a common manual hand held can opener because of arthritis in her hands, the small crank handle is difficult for her to operate. We've had this electric Krups Open Master that actually separates the lid from the can (no cutting), but it's always a hassle to get lined up just right to work. It generally takes several attempts to get the mechanism to "grab" the lid, and the can gets chewed up in the process of getting it to grab.

I'm looking at a commercial grade manual opener for her, like this Edlund, which would be easy for her to operate. But I really like the way the Krups removes the lid, leaves no sharp edges, and the lid doesn't fall into the product. I see a number of manual lid "removers" but they all use a small-ish crank handle (for example), and that's the thing my wife has trouble operating.

So, what do folks here have, use, and most importantly, like in the realm of arthritis-friendly can openers?

- djb

/ Can opener - recommendations please #2  
I am also interested in this subject. Wife and I seem to be having the same issues and are debating this same subject. Kind of pricey....but will it be worth it for home use?

/ Can opener - recommendations please #4  
some friendlier openers mentioned here:
Arthritis-Friendly Can Openers

We bought a couple of the 'as seen on TV' openers (#5 on the the link posted by moeh1). Keep one in the kitchen and one in the RV.

They are inexpensive. I'd guess we change batteries in the kitchen opener maybe annually. Neither of us has had complaints on them.

Phil

/ Can opener - recommendations please #5  
.We have an electric Hamilton Beach mounted under the upper cabinet. Same issue. My wife's hands are swollen with arthritis and the twist by hand opener was becoming too much. Never said a word. My son bought this for her as a Christmas gift. Like so many of these new fangled contraptions there was an adjustment period. He!! I had to sneak a microwave in when she was gone for a few days.
Cans are easier to open now but we still make the trek down to river to wash clothes. However I refuse to hang laundry out on the clothesline when it's below 10F. She does and doesn't mind. These french candians are a tough bunch.

/ Can opener - recommendations please #6  
My wife's arthritis wouldn't let her use a manual can opener either. But the electric Hamilton Beach Clean Cut Can Opener, Model 76380 we have sitting on the counter in the kitchen works just fine. It's more than 7 years old (4/20/2005) and worked just fine on 7 cans this morning.

And if a can opener is a problem, opening jars with screw on lids is just as bad. So we have a Black & Decker Lids Off jar opener, model JW200BM. It won't be 7 years old until next month (11/23/2005). And when we bought it at Walmart, it was $29.42 plus tax.:rolleyes:

/ Can opener - recommendations please #7  
How about taking one of those "top removers" and just gluing a much longer handle on it for leverage?
I rarely use a standard "can opener" that leaves sharp edges since we got the Safety Lid Lifter.

/ Can opener - recommendations please #8  
I guess a P-38 is out of the question?? (X-military guys get to laugh here!)
I saw them using a can opener on TV in a prison that captured the lid so the prisoners could not make weapons out of it! I guess they have to secure everything.

/ Can opener - recommendations please #9  
Stimw said:
I guess a P-38 is out of the question?? (X-military guys get to laugh here!)
I saw them using a can opener on TV in a prison that captured the lid so the prisoners could not make weapons out of it! I guess they have to secure everything.

Our opener of choice.
Pic attached for the younger generation

image-1231917046.jpg

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet