Can I pull out invasive willows using my tractor?

/ Can I pull out invasive willows using my tractor? #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
One of my fence lines has out-of-control invasive willows. My neighbor finally pulled all of his out, which was 80% of the quantity. So I need to do the 20% on my side.

He used a Bobcat with a 4-in-1 bucket. Clamping down on a clump of willows and pulling them out by the roots. I don't have anything like that. Just a Massey SCUT, regular bucket and 3 point hitch.

I've thought of wrapping nylon rope around each one, then attaching to the bucket and lifting. Obviously a labor intensive and tedious process. There are probably 150 willows left, which would mean 150 times crawling on the ground to wrap the rope and then lift with the bucket. Or maybe 2 at a time?

Any ideas for a better way? I'm too old for this method ....

/ Can I pull out invasive willows using my tractor? #2  
Grubbing chain works wonders for me. Labor intensive, I suppose so, but great results. I use both chain hooks on the bucket, and drawbar for deeper roots.

/ Can I pull out invasive willows using my tractor? #3  
You might consider cutting them instead, then treating the stumps with uncut Roundup or other herbicide. I try to keep my pesticide use to a minimum, but sometimes it's the right tool for the job.
'

/ Can I pull out invasive willows using my tractor? #4  
If they are not large and the roots are not deep, a pihrana tooth bar might work. I've used mine to up root poison oak.

I have also used a chain and a brush grubber with jaws to pull up brush.
It's a pain to get off and on the tractor when doing it yourself but if you have a helper it would go a lot easier.

/ Can I pull out invasive willows using my tractor? #5  
   / Can I pull out invasive willows using my tractor? #6  
Put 3 Ken's Bucket hooks on your loader bucket, and now you're to 50 on an off the tractor trips. Spread that over 3 days :)

/ Can I pull out invasive willows using my tractor? #7  
You might consider cutting them instead, then treating the stumps with uncut Roundup or other herbicide. I try to keep my pesticide use to a minimum, but sometimes it's the right tool for the job.
'

^^^^^^ This is the easiest method!

/ Can I pull out invasive willows using my tractor? #8  
BORROW YOUR NEIGHBORS BOBCAT, OR OFFER TO PAY HIM TO DO YOUR SIDE. IF YOU DON'T DO THE ONES ON YOUR SIDE THEY WILL SPRED SO HE MIGHT BE INTERESTED.

/ Can I pull out invasive willows using my tractor? #9  
Id the willows are large or have been cut back many time you will find the root structure is huge and deep. I used my BX 25 BH to grub out what looked like a small 4" tree at the surface. Turned out to be a 5' wide hole 4+ feet deep and a stump I could barely lift.

Ron

/ Can I pull out invasive willows using my tractor? #10  
Willows will die if you cut them off with a mower. The roots will send up new shoots and if you keep mowing them down they will die after about two years.