Can a Mahindra 1626 pull an RV?

/ Can a Mahindra 1626 pull an RV? #11  
I move my 9k RV around on flat ground with an L4060 (about 7k). I suspect you'll be ok with a lighter tractor, but there are a lot of potential pitfalls.
The incline in particular could allow the trailer to push or pull you around. Maybe tie a rope to the trailer breakaway cable just in case.

/ Can a Mahindra 1626 pull an RV? #12  
I would not pull "through" the truck, they don't like that, frame damage is much easier than a person would believe.

Can you expound on that? Have you seen frame damage as a result of pulling a truck that's towing a trailer? If so, were there any contributing factors?

I wouldn't think twice to do this. I've done it many times and much worse; this would be actually among the more mundane recovery/pulling operations I've done or witnessed.

The worst example I have is that one time I got my 79 F150 stuck so bad that it couldn't be pulled back to the road with a Cummins dually plus a >100hp ag tractor that were both pulling from pavement. The tractor was pulling "through" the dually. After we broke a 20k lbs rated wire rope we decided the truck would have to sit there for a few weeks for it to dry up. Then we had to dig it out with an excavator. Neither the dually or the f150 suffered any frame damage.

/ Can a Mahindra 1626 pull an RV? #13  
I would do a tandem pull due to the fact that you are on wet, sloppy grounds, and the fact that RV is connected to the truck and this is a safe stance in my opinion. Simply connect the tractor to the truck, and both drivers can easily pull the RV out of the predicament it's in.

Given the weight of the RV, it will easily overwhelm the tractor's traction abilities. Regardless of how much towing capability the tractor has, if it has no traction, it will not do anything and make things even worse by having it dragged by the RV in unpredictable ways.

It goes without saying, pics or it didn't happen 🤣

/ Can a Mahindra 1626 pull an RV? #14  
I consider myself a (self proclaimed) trailer pusher for staging and parking anyway. Can you push it? I have a hole to mount a ball in the he bucket of my old l2850. Moved a 20' tandem camper trailer with it dozens of times with no incidents. Be sure to have counterweight.

/ Can a Mahindra 1626 pull an RV? #15  
that said you prolly would do better putting a tow strap on the tractor, and pulling the truck. I am not remotely impressed with the traction capability of my mahindra
This. If the trailer is already on an incline I wouldn't want to unhook it. Plus if anything goes bad on that incline your tractor doesn't have the weight or the brakes to do much but it can make a huge difference in applying forward pulling force to your truck via a good strap.

/ Can a Mahindra 1626 pull an RV? #16  
Might be ok, I would get it on the draw bar as opposed to the 3 pt. Depending on the slope, be careful unhooking, make sure chalk is good. I would not pull "through" the truck, they don't like that, frame damage is much easier than a person would believe.

Best,

ed
I doubt his drawbar is rated for more than 500# tongue weight, not sure why everyone always goes to draw bar they are made to pull wagons or implements with almost no tongue weight not to hold it. I understand the risks of the 3pt and it's also get draw backs but it's not going to break/bend under load like the drawbar will.

And what do you mean you wouldn't pull through a frame? A direct pull through he frame is about as harmless as you can get on a tow, next is probably off the axles.

ETA can't find the equivalent specs on the mahindra but this is Kubota's for slightly larger tractor, 730# tongue weight 2200# max trailer weight on the drawbar.

1678890361194.png

Last edited:
   / Can a Mahindra 1626 pull an RV? #17  
Can you expound on that? Have you seen frame damage as a result of pulling a truck that's towing a trailer? If so, were there any contributing factors?

I wouldn't think twice to do this. I've done it many times and much worse; this would be actually among the more mundane recovery/pulling operations I've done or witnessed.

The worst example I have is that one time I got my 79 F150 stuck so bad that it couldn't be pulled back to the road with a Cummins dually plus a >100hp ag tractor that were both pulling from pavement. The tractor was pulling "through" the dually. After we broke a 20k lbs rated wire rope we decided the truck would have to sit there for a few weeks for it to dry up. Then we had to dig it out with an excavator. Neither the dually or the f150 suffered any frame damage.
Yea sure, I did tweak an 80 bronco, pulling a f250 out of a mud pit sitting on the frame. We had an IH 966 in front of the bronco. The bronco was pretty well set up, with locking rear, and home made recovery hooks in the front. We were able to weld it up close, we got the front end aligned as best we could, but, never could get it to track dead on.

Oddly I still remember reading multiple reliable sources (owners manuals I believe) that warned of frame damage when doing this. Damned if I can find one supporting doc with a quick google search now.

I still do it to help a dually up a hill or something, but not with half tons. If my search talents improve, I will post back.

Best,

ed

/ Can a Mahindra 1626 pull an RV? #18  
I doubt his drawbar is rated for more than 500# tongue weight, not sure why everyone always goes to draw bar they are made to pull wagons or implements with almost no tongue weight not to hold it. I understand the risks of the 3pt and it's also get draw backs but it's not going to break/bend under load like the drawbar will.

And what do you mean you wouldn't pull through a frame? A direct pull through he frame is about as harmless as you can get on a tow, next is probably off the axles.

ETA can't find the equivalent specs on the mahindra but this is Kubota's for slightly larger tractor, 730# tongue weight 2200# max trailer weight on the drawbar.

View attachment 788526
LOL I tell folks to use the draw bar when they say they want to reduce the chances of flipping over backward:)

I need to find a supporting document for not pulling through the frame of the truck now that you called me out.

/ Can a Mahindra 1626 pull an RV?
Updated the post with some more detail... I don't have a 3-point to connect a ball hitch to so I would have to use a drawbar, which I didn't know what it was called before these posts I reviewed today. It sounds like I will try the truck by itself again but if that doesn't work I will need to use the tractor with the drawbar that comes stock with the Mahindra.

/ Can a Mahindra 1626 pull an RV? #20  
Yea sure, I did tweak an 80 bronco, pulling a f250 out of a mud pit sitting on the frame. We had an IH 966 in front of the bronco. The bronco was pretty well set up, with locking rear, and home made recovery hooks in the front. We were able to weld it up close, we got the front end aligned as best we could, but, never could get it to track dead on.

Oddly I still remember reading multiple reliable sources (owners manuals I believe) that warned of frame damage when doing this. Damned if I can find one supporting doc with a quick google search now.

I still do it to help a dually up a hill or something, but not with half tons. If my search talents improve, I will post back.

Best,

ed
Ok, well thanks for sharing. I will file this in my mental repository. I will still do it with my own vehicles but I will exercise caution and think twice before recommending it to others.