Call me crazy...silo question

/ Call me crazy...silo question #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
I need a shop bad.

I've been going back and forth about a steel building or a big pole barn, then I happen upon a CL add for three large silos (24' diameter) and a few gain bins and other odds and ends for what seems like a screaming deal to me.

So has anyone ever relocated a silo? Do they survive the trip pretty well or will they need a lot of work to get back up? Has anyone ever joined one or more together? Is this a decent idea or am I off my rocker?

/ Call me crazy...silo question #2  
On that show Texas House Wars they took a silo & made it into a house.. sold it for big money.. they even put a second story on it for a bedroom??
The prob. w/ moving it is, it has to be broken down into "rings" & THEN transported from what I saw on tv..
A CRANE to lower the rings, a man basket> to allow someone inside to remove the bolts & then done all over again to reassemble..??
Then u have the logistics of using something "round"..vs square..

/ Call me crazy...silo question #3  
We have a few places near us that used old silos, but added buildings to them, almost making them look like castle turrets.

/ Call me crazy...silo question #4  
I think a silo could make a fantastic building for just about anything - - but the logistics of moving it - - WHEW. Most of the currently used silo's around here are the galvanized Butler brand. Then there are a few of the big purple ones. The purple ones are like a double wall thermos jug and hold silage.

/ Call me crazy...silo question #5  
It may not be such a "screaming deal" when you figure in the total cost of relocating them to your property.

/ Call me crazy...silo question #6  
What do you mean by silo?

Wood planked, masonry block type with hoop rings, the bolted metal plated Harvestor type, or a galvanized metal grain silo type?

/ Call me crazy...silo question #7  
My dad always used to comment on cement silos next to barns about what a great observatory that would make. :laughing:

/ Call me crazy...silo question
It may not be such a "screaming deal" when you figure in the total cost of relocating them to your property.

This is my fear, that's why I'm asking if anyone has done it:eek:

/ Call me crazy...silo question
What do you mean by silo?

Wood planked, masonry block type with hoop rings, the bolted metal plated Harvestor type, or a galvanized metal grain silo type?

Galvanized, looks like the individual pieces that make the rings are 24-26" tall and 10'-ish feet long. Here's a pic from the add.

00D0D_3uHpahTGPnM_600x450.jpg

/ Call me crazy...silo question #10  
OK, I would have called them grain bins.
They could be made into a building, I'm not sure how practical it would be.
Are you thinking of a Half shell style, or a large circular building?