BX25 bagger build/review

/ BX25 bagger build/review #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
As a condition of upgrading to the 25D my wife said she wanted a bagger, if that痴 all it takes I知 in. The dealer cut me a good deal if I壇 assemble it myself so too easy,,,so I thought.

Comes in three packages one with the bagger it痴 self (large box), an adapter to my mower deck (medium box), and hardware to adapt the collar of your tractor to the mower mount (small box) which for the 25D was several sleeves for the collar mount for the 18痴, 24痴 and 2660/70 there is an additional set of collars you have to either mount or replace your current collars with.
20130524_144227.jpg

This scared the crap out of me, no parts layout only itemized listings and some of the numbers where the same (i.e. (4) M10 bolts (4) M8 bolts but they the same size just different washers near as I can tell).
20130524_161907.jpg

First thing you do is attached the two pieces of the subframe together, the book says hook one end up to the tractor first. So there I am with one end half attached to the tractor holding another 70ish pound piece trying to get a screw to purchase from the bottom so singing the 斗efty loosy righty tighty song in my head backwards and can稚 get this screw to start. After yelling at all the children (which I had to apologize for), crushing my right hand at least twice and making no progress I turned it over to see what the heck was going on and found the nut that痴 welded on the subframe wasn稚 square on the hole. I didn稚 have anything to enlarge the hole without destroying my nut so I had to run to the hardware store
20130524_152548.jpg

All in all it wasn稚 too bad, from starting to complete minus the trip to the hardware store was less than three hours.
Our grass was pretty wet but she wanted to try it out, it worked well. I greased all the zerts I could find and confirmed with the manual that was it but after 45 minutes of mowing the housing of the belt cover and impeller housing was warm to the touch and some pretty warm air was coming out the top access area, I reached in there and felt around nothing I could reach was 塗ot anyone know if that is about normal?
20130524_201221.jpg

The left over parts are nearly as scary as the starting parts, I can稚 believe something coming from overseas would leave this many toys for you. The only parts I should have used on mine where to move the hazard lights up so they are visible over the bagger, I chose not to do that because I知 planning to put a saw mount where they wanted the hazard lights to go and my tractor will never see a road. The other leftovers are for the other BX models modifications. If anyone needs rear support stays let me know so I can get them out of the garage.
20130525_091022.jpg

Why they wouldn稚 design this to fit perfectly on a pallet is beyond me I got it all sideways and pinned one of the legs incorrectly to and got it on there. I値l have to fiddle around with it some but it was getting late so it just got throw in the garage to keep it out of the rain for now.
20130525_091047.jpg

Overall I壇 say it痴 okay, I think it will grow on me but it sure takes some of the man card from the tractor, had to put the BH back on before the neighbors started talking about my lawnmower:eek: Came off in about the same time it takes to put the BH on so not too bad, I think it will be a little harder to get back on because of PTO alignment time but I don稚 think it will be too painful.

*If anyone can tell me how to attach the photos in normal size real qucik I'll edit it so you don't have to open more tabs:thumbsup:

/ BX25 bagger build/review #2  
Nice write up with pic's. The only thing I know about the Kubota baggers is what I've read and that is that they're hard to put together and get on and off the machine, though I believe Kubota has improved the system over time. I thought it came with a kickstand for storage so you can just back up to it for hook up, no? Also, I'd hang on to those U-bolts in case you end up mounting ropes lights. I could never find the right size aftermarket for my ROPS lights and Kubota wanted some ridiculous price for the U-bolt part from their OEM light kit, so I had to make something up that was less than ideal. Oh, the other reason I never looked into their bagger is that I already had a Cyclone Rake for fall leaf clean up. I don't use it to bag grass during the mowing season since it just makes the machine + trailer too big for weekly mowing. Good luck with yours and maybe post an update after you've used it for a while.

/ BX25 bagger build/review #3  
Now that it has been over a year, how do you like your bagger? Is it holding up well? Thanks

/ BX25 bagger build/review
Huge piece of crap, would never buy again and most of the time now I mow without it unless I really need to pick stuff up in which case I mow and let it sit overnight to dry then go over it again to pick it up.

/ BX25 bagger build/review #5  
WOW - you sound very unhappy with it. Can you explain what you don't like and why? Do you find it to have serious design flaws? Thanks for the update and information!

/ BX25 bagger build/review
Not sure if it is a design flaw or if my 25D just isn't enough to turn the MMM and the bagger. If grass has any moisture (I.e. alive and green) it clogs the boot nearly instantly. I bought an electric impact wrench just for the tractor so I could clear all the clogs. Most clogs happen at the boot and are pretty easy but time consuming to clear, when it clogs the hose from the boot to the impeller you're talking about 5-10 minutes and I'll do that about 2-4 times a cutting (I mow about 3/4 acre). My wife wanted clippings picked up which is why I got it but lately I just take the leaf blower out and found I save time with that method over the bagger.

/ BX25 bagger build/review #7  
Thank you for the update - sort of scares me off to be honest. Way too much money to have problems.

/ BX25 bagger build/review #8  
Huge piece of crap, would never buy again and most of the time now I mow without it unless I really need to pick stuff up in which case I mow and let it sit overnight to dry then go over it again to pick it up.

I hate to hear that it didn't work out for you... but your response is priceless! :laughing:

/ BX25 bagger build/review #9  
I have a BX25, 60" deck with the newer bagger system. Bought it used for about half the retail cost. I love it. Does a great job. If grass is wet you just have to slow down to allow for the heavier intake. As far as getting it on and off its a breeze once you learn how it was designed to be done. It's quite slick actually. Just back up to it, connect the drive shaft and turn the turn buckle to pull the bagger to the back of the tractor. No sweat at all. Even easier to remove. Highly recommend.

/ BX25 bagger build/review #10  
I have a BX25 with the rear bagger and love it too. Does a great job and easy on/off.