Oil & Fuel BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #31  
Yes, it is an old thread, but a valuable one. I have to say THANKS! for the info in it. My BX24 was stumbling and wouldn't rev. I found this thread on a search and it saved me a bunch of trouble. I only replaced the primary filter, but that was the culprit. I also only had to go under the tractor one time because I took a box with everything recommended for a filter change in it. The filter bolt was VERY tight. I did use a large hemostat clamp and a small vise grip to pinch the hoses. I tore off a piece of the cardboard box and wrapped it around the hose that the vise grip clamped onto. Oh, the tractor was sitting in the snow, so I found one of those insulated, foil faced windshield sunshade things and used it as a 'creeper' on the snow. Perfect.
Thanks again.

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #32  
Update and tip. The tractor ran for about 15 minutes and stumbled again. Grrr... I think I got a slug of water in the fuel.
So, today I replaced the secondary filter. Here's the tip...

The engine shroud is held on by two knobs in the front and slots in the back. I did NOT want to remove the shroud and guard in the snow bank. So, think... I removed the knob on the left side and bowed the shroud out and pushed it forward to get it out of the slots under the console. I did remove the shroud over the battery just to make it easier to see what I was doing. The plastic is flexible enough, even at 25 degrees F to readily move out of the way. This gave me plenty of room to work.

The tractor ran about 10 minutes and bogged again. Grrrr... I took my jacket off, slid under on my windshield 'creeper' and replaced the primary AGAIN. I was able to do the work I needed this time, moved a bunch of snow and worked for over three hours. Hopefully this is done now. I will buy more spare filters when we are in town this week. I hope the tip on the shroud helps someone else who is stuck replacing the secondary filter in the cold.

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #34  
Well, knock wood... The little tractor seems to be well again. I got a bunch of chemicals for it and spare filters while I was in town. I did add a glug of Diesel 911 when I got home, but nothing else. I hope my Mr. Filter gets here before I have to add fuel. It was supposed to be delivered today, but it hasn't arrived yet.
I still want to put in a primary filter with water trap. One of these days.

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #35  
Be careful, some fuel additives contain dispersants and will allow water to go through water blocking filters and traps.

David

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #36  
Be careful, some fuel additives contain dispersants and will allow water to go through water blocking filters and traps.

David

Yes, I was just reading the flyer that came with my new Racor 120, and learned about that. I will be carefully checking out any additives to make sure they do NOT emulsify the water.

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #37  
Thanks for the tips. I got the Mr Funnel and it says to add additives after the fuel is in the tank.

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #38  
Thanks for the tips. I got the Mr Funnel and it says to add additives after the fuel is in the tank.

I just used Mr Funnel in the cold for the first time. ( About 40 degrees)
I was using fuel that was purchased a few weeks ago at a high volume truck stop,,
I believe the fuel was clean.

After about 4 gallons, the flow REALLY slowed down,, then after another gallon,,,
IT STOPPED!

I rubbed a spot on the filter, flow started,,,

I wonder if the fuel was "gelled"??

I did not see anything,, no water in the bottom of the funnel,,
Hmmmmm,,,,,,,,,:confused:

In the previous half dozen uses,, this had not happened,,,

What is the correct procedure to clean Mr Funnel?

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #39  
My guess is YES, gelled fuel. The Mr Funnel instructions say not to touch the screen by the way. Probably should just shake the crap out of it and take it inside to warm up. NO TOCAR! Grin...

The instructions say to turn the funnel upside down and 'dump' it.

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #40  
Lesson not yet learned... The tractor quit again yesterday. So, today (about 18 degrees out there) I drained the tank and replaced the primary filter AGAIN. You guys won't believe this... there was a SPIDER in it. Sigh... must be contagious. I blew out the line to the tank... yuck, diesel is icky, but not as bad as gasoline. Ran some Diesel Heat through the line and replaced the filter. Then my new Mr Funnel removed the ICE and wax from the brand new 5 gallons of 'winter diesel' from the filling station. GRRR... No fuel will go in my rigs from now on without going through the Mr Funnel.
I was able to move snow for as long as I could stand being out there. I seriously hope this is fixed.
I did order a Kubota water/dirt filter unit with spin on housing. It WILL fit under the rig come spring.