bucket level indicator

/ bucket level indicator #31  
Our Kubota FEL bucket came from the factory with two 4x1" pieces of metal welded to the top of the bucket and covered with black & white reflective tape.
You can see them in the photo

I wondered what in the heck they were. They were strong enough to stand on, but not really strong enough to act as a chain hook. Then one day I realized that they wereset at exactly the same angle as the bottom of the bucket and situated so that one or the two can always be seen.

For me those two level indicators are more instinctive than a rod and tube system. I have no idea what they are called or even if they have a name.

Pay no attention to all the hooks and such. I had been collecting them for years and this was a chance to use them all. Each one is bolted and has a backing plate.
View attachment 719719
Problem with those (and yes they are also called level indicators) is that they are only as accurate as your ability the judge the levelness of a little 4" strip of metal....looking down at an angle....from 8-10 feet away.

Always good enough to get close.....but if just trying to be perfectly level and not gouge a yard if you are just trying to scoop a pile out of said yard...little tougher than that tube type indicator

/ bucket level indicator #32  
Here’s a wild idea. I’m an electronic engineer and it just came to me as an idea which I’d like your feedback on…

A battery operated two-part device connected via cable and is a bucket level indicator with colored LED lights on a second device mounted on the loader arms (or near the operator station) showing the current level via 5 LEDs arrayed vertically. Center could indicate 0° while others read 2°, -2°, 5°, -5° on either side.

It would sleep when motionless, awaken when moved to preserve battery life, could be dampened so the electronic “pendulum” wouldn’t swing wildly, and very simple to use.

Is this worth pursuing?

/ bucket level indicator #33  
Here’s a wild idea. I’m an electronic engineer and it just came to me as an idea which I’d like your feedback on…

A battery operated two-part device connected via cable and is a bucket level indicator with colored LED lights on a second device mounted on the loader arms (or near the operator station) showing the current level via 5 LEDs arrayed vertically. Center could indicate 0° while others read 2°, -2°, 5°, -5° on either side.

It would sleep when motionless, awaken when moved to preserve battery life, could be dampened so the electronic “pendulum” wouldn’t swing wildly, and very simple to use.

Is this worth pursuing?
Not something I would be interested in. I like keeping things simple.

But why would you go battery on such deceive when you have a tractor capable of supplying continuous 12v?

/ bucket level indicator #34  
My old L2250 I bought used had what was described as a level indicator on the bucket. It was basically a flat piece of metal on one side of the top of the bucket. Difficult to see from the seat and to gauge levelness.Never really found it to be that useful and believe it was more of a design issue.
When I bought my new tractor, I ordered the rod bucket level indicator and installed it. Extremely helpful and use it all of the time.

/ bucket level indicator #35  
Problem with those (and yes they are also called level indicators) is that they are only as accurate as your ability the judge the levelness of a little 4" strip of metal....looking down at an angle....from 8-10 feet away.

Always good enough to get close.....but if just trying to be perfectly level and not gouge a yard if you are just trying to scoop a pile out of said yard...little tougher than that tube type indicator

Oh... I never thought about judging the levelness of a surface from 8 or 10 feet away as a problem. Thank you for pointing that out. It simply had not occured to me.
I have no difficulty judging angles. When I do a pencil sketch, landscape, or portrait the subject is usually that far away or more. Distance doesn't matter. I've always thought of distance and angle as being two different things.

So it's easy for me to say that judging level is a matter of practice, and maybe that is correct. Or partly so.

But I think you have a point. Thanks for finally explaining to me why the tube type indicator is so popular. It was a mystery to me.

For my use the simple level piece of metal on the bucket is just right.
The M59's tube indicator hangs in the barn; I got tired of the rattling noise it makes.

rScotty

/ bucket level indicator #36  

Is this worth pursuing?

I think you should go for it. Gadgets and patents have been very good to me. The key is to do it for fun.

Take a look under "inclinometers" & "RV remote level" on Amazon to see where the competition is at. Nothing wrong with adapting something that exists so that it serves a new application.

rScotty

/ bucket level indicator #37  

Is this worth pursuing?
I have looked for this very thing and have come up dry. There are some mechanical and electronic devices for fork lift masts so the operator knows when the forks are level but none offer a remote sensor and separate display.

/ bucket level indicator #38  

Is this worth pursuing?
Let me be the first volunteer to test it for you!

It would be brilliant!!!

And would gladly buy one tied into the tractor 12 volts to make it maintenance free as someone else mentioned.

/ bucket level indicator #39  

Is this worth pursuing?
Someone had a similar approach some time back.

Here is the thread about it: Electronic bucket level Indicator, Now with Auto Level STOP Control

/ bucket level indicator #40