Broken gc1720 transmission filter

/ Broken gc1720 transmission filter #11  
A fine mesh paper paint filter, (auto paint supply stores), or if you really want to get crazy, a cooking oil filter would also work. Amazon.com : King Kooker PF1 Disposable Paper Oil Funnel Filters-12 Pack, OS, Multi : Sports & Outdoors

I would not get crazy, the suction screen and the hydraulic filter will trap what you miss.

You could also pull the suction screen after a few hours of use, to verify you have it all out.

This can be done without draining all the fluid, you just have to be fast, and it would be helpful to have an extra thumb there to hold the fluid back while the screen is checked, and cleaned.

Hmmm...... Dripped/spilled maybe half a gallon of hydraulic fluid into a bucket when replacing hoses and filter on log splitter... When I went to pour it back in tank I discover some leave and crap in the oil (my bad for not covering it) and just ran it through a paper coffee filter in a funnel.....

Dale

/ Broken gc1720 transmission filter
I would not get crazy, the suction screen and the hydraulic filter will trap what you miss.

You could also pull the suction screen after a few hours of use, to verify you have it all out.

This can be done without draining all the fluid, you just have to be fast, and it would be helpful to have an extra thumb there to hold the fluid back while the screen is checked, and cleaned.

The extra Finger is what children are made for. My 17 yr old can give me a hand when I pull it to check it. I assume you are talking about the one behind the wheel.

/ Broken gc1720 transmission filter #13  
The extra Finger is what children are made for. My 17 yr old can give me a hand when I pull it to check it. I assume you are talking about the one behind the wheel.

Yes.

Everyone says I would regret not having kids someday.

I could use the money I saved to rent one though. :thumbsup:

/ Broken gc1720 transmission filter #14  
Would it be possible to extend the drill and/or tap, shank? Then use a PVC TEE fitting to work straight thru, and connecting a shop vac to the 3rd (side) port of the Tee?
Or someone could hold the shop vac hose adjacent to the drill/tap, at least till you get started.
Probably pull most if not all loose shavings right into the vac, or at least discourage them from migrating to the internals.

Or perhaps you could blow air pressure into the cavity thru an adjacent oil hole as you work. Would take a substantial compressor. Might keep the shavings coming the right way.

/ Broken gc1720 transmission filter #15  
Would it be possible to extend the drill and/or tap, shank? Then use a PVC TEE fitting to work straight thru, and connecting a shop vac to the 3rd (side) port of the Tee?
Or someone could hold the shop vac hose adjacent to the drill/tap, at least till you get started.
Probably pull most if not all loose shavings right into the vac, or at least discourage them from migrating to the internals.

Or perhaps you could blow air pressure into the cavity thru an adjacent oil hole as you work. Would take a substantial compressor. Might keep the shavings coming the right way.

According to people who have done this, if you load the tap up with grease, it collects the chips.

A flush and drain should do the trick.

The housing is also much softer material than the gears. So, it should not do any harm.

There are lots of people who have done this, and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks guys I will take pictures and try to post them up as I finish.

I’ll make sure to grease and lube up to make sure and try to catch all shavings and then to flush afterwards. Good thing is it appears the break is relatively flush with the housing to limit chiseling or grinding the exterior flush.

/ Broken gc1720 transmission filter #17  
After you are done with this big job consider the Sentinel protector.
It would help protect against this type of damage.
V1.jpg

Well still kicking my rear..

The Kubota fitting is an m18x1.5 on the filter side. The other side is not and appears to be a m20x1.5. I am a little Leary to drill and tap to that size as the wall thickness of the remaining part would be questionable.

So does anyone know where to order a m18x 1.5 threaded rod that’s hollow that I can cut and install. Also any suggestion on aluminum or stainless for rod material? I don’t think it will matter but figured I would ask. Hole is drilled and tapped now just need a junction.

Worried it won’t have enough thread exposed for the filter to actually lock down on.

Most filter threads I have seen are virtually threaded rods.