Broken gc1720 transmission filter

/ Broken gc1720 transmission filter #1  

CUtiger95

Tractor
Massey-Ferguson GC1720
Ok 100 hrs in and my first truly boneheaded manuever.

Connected the mowing deck, slid the pto shaft on. Started up and started to mow. I made it about 6 ft when a loud clang happened. Evidently the retaining pin on the shaft didn稚 lock the pto fully on and the shaft released.

Needless to say the oil filter took all abuse and broke off.

Is there a yard fix or do I have to send to the dealer to fix my idiocy of not making sure the pto was fully locked?

Last edited:
   / Broken gc1720 transmission filter
C5D0AB5E-0F79-470A-A998-E3A03B0F2703.jpeg

Alright ordered a tap and die 18x1.5 so I can install the Kubota fix. Also ordered the kubota part#15241-32290.

Will update after I get everything in and the tractor back running. Went back out and checked the pto shaft from the mower deck, for whatever reason the detent ball is not engaging which explains why I thought it was engaged as I didn’t pull just verified it was installed deep enough. Still a complete boneheaded move.

/ Broken gc1720 transmission filter #3  
View attachment 667959

Alright ordered a tap and die 18x1.5 so I can install the Kubota fix. Also ordered the kubota part#15241-32290.

Will update after I get everything in and the tractor back running. Went back out and checked the pto shaft from the mower deck, for whatever reason the detent ball is not engaging which explains why I thought it was engaged as I didn’t pull just verified it was installed deep enough. Still a complete boneheaded move.

More details on Kubota fix... Might need that in future.... Link to details?

Dale

More details on Kubota fix... Might need that in future.... Link to details?

Dale
I’ll try to post photos as I go. The kubota fix is a double ended Male Adapter. One end fits the hydraulic filter. Big trick is keeping the shavings out of the transmission. Should be interesting and hopefully you don’t get to have this fun.

/ Broken gc1720 transmission filter #5  
Sorry you had this happen. Good luck with your repair.

It is nice to have an option aside from replacing the entire housing.

Grease on the tap should hold most of the shavings.

I would drain the transmission fluid first, then flush the transmission when finished, before refilling. Pouring fluid in the hole you tap should cause the debris to settle to the bottom.

Remember there is a sump, and a screen at the bottom of the transmission. So, if you do miss anything, it's going to be trapped there. As long as there isn't enough debris to clog the screen, it's not going to be a problem.

Sorry you had this happen. Good luck with your repair.

It is nice to have an option aside from replacing the entire housing.

Grease on the tap should hold most of the shavings.

I would drain the transmission fluid first, then flush the transmission when finished, before refilling. Pouring fluid in the hole you tap should cause the debris to settle to the bottom.

Remember there is a sump, and a screen at the bottom of the transmission. So, if you do miss anything, it's going to be trapped there. As long as there isn't enough debris to clog the screen, it's not going to be a problem.

Any suggestion on flushing fluid. I utilize amsoil for all the lubricants, but no way that I should use that to flush out this mistake.

/ Broken gc1720 transmission filter #7  
I would get a gallon of some compatible generic fluid.

There isn't going to be enough left after you drain it to worry about.

You could filter it, and run it through more than once if you like.

/ Broken gc1720 transmission filter #9  
A fine mesh paper paint filter, (auto paint supply stores), or if you really want to get crazy, a cooking oil filter would also work. Amazon.com : King Kooker PF1 Disposable Paper Oil Funnel Filters-12 Pack, OS, Multi : Sports & Outdoors

I would not get crazy, the suction screen and the hydraulic filter will trap what you miss.

You could also pull the suction screen after a few hours of use, to verify you have it all out.

This can be done without draining all the fluid, you just have to be fast, and it would be helpful to have an extra thumb there to hold the fluid back while the screen is checked, and cleaned.

Thanks guys, I値l multi flush with that filter it痴 perfect.

Thought on if I should go ahead and pull the plug prior to drilling and tapping or leave the fluid in and then do it post.

Thoughts are maybe any particulates will be suspended in whatever fluid is in the reservoir prior to pulling the plug. Then again pulling it initially may allow the metal contaminates to stay relatively contained.

Any thoughts? The little part should be here late in the week so I have a chance to get my game plan together. Crappy part is the tractor is now in my way for mowing with my walk behind grr...