Bridge 4's 2638 HST CAB B.S. and ?? Thread

/ Bridge 4's 2638 HST CAB B.S. and ?? Thread
My SB1064 came in last week but I was off exploring the Grand Canyon (all fog the day we were there) and the Sedona area. Picked it up today. My snow push isn't coming in until the 5th I believe. I will get a little more loader work done in the next day and then get this guy hooked up once I know I'm done going into the woods this year.

I know I'm 2 inches shy of the tractor width, and I understand from reading some threads that I could have easily done a 72 inch. I feel better running the machine at the top power rather than pushing anything. I am not racing anyone out there, and plan to enjoy my time. I *might* get a neighbor to weld a couple inches extra on each wing to cover the tire tracks, but I will see how it goes before I take that step. The snow push I got is a 72 inch.

Front Blower.jpg

rearblower.jpg

Also going to be doing the front axle fluid and the entire tranny fluid as well this week I believe. 100% sure about front Axle, not sure about full transmission, depends on my time. Will post up some photos of that process as well.

HST Filter and Front Axle Fluid Change

So I got the front axle/final drive done today along with the hydraulic fluid. It was pretty straight forward so I will only include a few pictures of what I thought interesting/relevant.

I used Kubota Super UDT2 for all fluids. Let's get this out of the way from the start! Is it nicer than needed? Did I waste 100 bucks? Does it keep you up at night knowing that I did this? The answer to all these questions is who cares, the fluid meets specs. :thumbsup:

Holy Smokes, I think after the Hulk ran away from making soda in Brazil or whatever those movies said he did and went right to India and started putting together tractors for Mahindra. :rolleyes: This stuff is on tight! I used a impact to easily get the tranny drain plug, but had to use a hand wrench to get the final drive and axle drain plugs. Took a lot of effort, don't give up! :laughing:

So the final drive and axle plugs didn't really have anything on them at all, super clean, and I thought I wasted my time and money changing it....but then a bunch of smaller and a few medium size shavings came out into the drain pan and I am happy I did the change.

I did not open the top drain plug on the final drive to figure out the full mark. I couldn't get in there to loosen it with how the tie rods and stuff are so close. I went with the dipstick in the top of the axle to measure full as suggested in the manual. I used about 2 gallons.

Now on to the tranny and hydraulics. I did not disconnect all the hoses, I just drained from the drain plug. There are a few things here.
1) The dealer replacement filter sure looked different, but spun right on and so far isn't leaking
new hst filter.jpg
2)The filter that needs changing is under the seat, right next to the step. I couldn't find this information anywhere in either manual, had to call the dealer and ask.
hst filter location.jpg
3)Holy smokes look at this metal! Not sure if this is normal amounts or problematic. The fluid itself came out nice and didn't have much in it. So maybe it just did it's job :eek:
hst magnet.jpg

Now I have a question. Where in the heck is the HST screen filter? I read some threads that mentioned it and I couldn't see it anywhere or find a picture of it. I would have really liked to get at it if there is one to clean it out while I had the stuff drained. Is it something I can clean without draining the system again? Does it even exist on my model?

I have the secondary spin on fuel filter, I think I might wait until the actual 50 hour on that, or maybe will do it later this weekend if the weather is decent. That job seems much less messy and pretty quick.

I am at 26 hours on the tractor, and did this all super premature so I don't have to in the middle of the winter as I have no garage to do them in.

Let's get back to that Super UDT2 before I end, the reason I used it is because I heard it was quieter operating. My Mahindra is squeaky as **** and its annoying and brings my level of enjoyment down. The hopes was that it would be quieter. In the 5-10 minutes I rolled around after changing the fluids to make sure there wasn't leaks I noticed significant noise reduction in the HST squeak. So I'm happy with my choice for now.

A photo of where the **** that screen filter is would be a huge help!

/ Bridge 4's 2638 HST CAB B.S. and ?? Thread #43  
The screen is on the "passenger" side of the tractor just in front of the rear axle. Follow the pipe from the top of the hydraulic pumps back and it will lead you to it. To get mine out I had to remove the loader brace and also took off the rear tire to get better access.

/ Bridge 4's 2638 HST CAB B.S. and ?? Thread #44  
Here is a picture, you can see the outlet for the screen over the drain tub. Taking off the brace was necessary but taking off the tire wasn't.20190302_142125.jpeg

Here is a picture, you can see the outlet for the screen over the drain tub. Taking off the brace was necessary but taking off the tire wasn't.View attachment 630416

Thanks! That is a big help. I'm guessing when I pull that all the fluid follows? I wonder if I could seal it off while I cleaned the screen then just top off the fluid after...Any thoughts on that?

Snow Blower Is ready

So I spent today getting the snowblower on and ready. Was a little bit of a pain because it was too wide to fit the QH I had, and I wasted about 30 minutes trying to make it fit. Took the hitch off and got it loaded in two minutes.

Next issue was the PTO shaft was too long. I wasn't comfortable cutting that myself since I never have and wasn't 100% sure where to measure from etc...

Neighbor stopped in when he saw I was outside and offered to help. So I pulled the shaft and drove the tractor down to his farm. Got it cut and all working in about 30 minutes. Very happy and relieved he could help since we might get two feet the next two days!!!

Bonus, it's a little wider than I thought and pretty much covers my tracks

rear blower spot.jpg

snowblow all hookedup.jpg

Got my snow push dropped off this morning, should have 4 inches or so coming next week to give it a little trial run, pretty excited to have it all set up and ready now. It's 72 inches.
fullmachinesnow.jpg

Now a quick question about the hydraulic fill level for the HST.

I looked at it this morning on a pretty flat area in front of my house (not where pic was taken) and the sight glass was filled all the way with just a little bubble of air showing in the top, which is slightly overfilled obviously.

When I parked it in my container which has a slight down grade towards the right side of the tractor (with you in tractor seat), the site glass showed just barely any in that range, so basically the opposite of before.

Should I just add a quarter or half gallon of stuff to call it good? Is there any other advice? The only difference with my attachments when I checked it later was the blow height adjustment cylinder on the snow blower was closed when it showed low, and was open when it showed high.

THANKS in advance.

/ Bridge 4's 2638 HST CAB B.S. and ?? Thread #50  
The tractor probably holds 10 gallons or so of fluid. It changes a good amount as rams are moved etc. Adding a quart or so isn’t worth the effort. If it’s in the sight glass you are good.....it’s not over or under full. This isn’t like an engine or automatic transmission. The case serves as a big reservoir of fluid. This keeps the heat down and obviously allows you to run different hydraulic attachments. A little here or there doesn’t matter much.